1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by startekee
View Post

what is the key difference between these two

The main difference is the amount of RAM the OS can reference. 32 bit tops out at just over 3 Gig, while 64 can go to something like 16 Tb. I don't think we'll be needing that much ram for a while... but hey, ya never know.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by startekee
View Post

wow thats alot of ram is there even a motherboard that can support 128gb of ram

They've been experimenting with ram in the 100+gb for a while now, but for home applications I think it will be a long time before we see the need for something like that. Needless to say, it won't be the OS holding back the memory down the road...

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdbolt70
View Post

The main difference is the amount of RAM the OS can reference. 32 bit tops out at just over 3 Gig, while 64 can go to something like 16 Tb. I don't think we'll be needing that much ram for a while... but hey, ya never know.

Vista 64 Premium only supports 16GB. Vista 64 Business and Ultimate only support 128GB. These are artifical limits set by OS developers. A 64-bit can actually support 2,097,152 terabytes.

64-bit Vista has slightly improved security (only slightly).

64-bit Vista can also run application in 64-bit! These are usually MatLab, Maple, and other scientific/math applications.

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
In my opinion, i say go for the 32bit,

i currently have the 64 bit and it has a lot of issues, because not everything is designed to run on 64 bit.

32 bit you should get almost everything to run on it.

to my knowledge all vista's are the same, its the key that determines which one you are installing ( business, home, ultimate, etc). but x86 and x64 are on separate disks. atleast mine are.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I have the 64 bit version, found no problems with it being 64 bit. Haven't had any issues running 32 bit software. My kit came with 2 discs, one for 32 and one for 64.

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damage82 View Post
I have the 64 bit version, found no problems with it being 64 bit. Haven't had any issues running 32 bit software. My kit came with 2 discs, one for 32 and one for 64.

really? my audacity doesn't want to work, along with some movie editing programs like adobe premiere and premiere elements.

games like cs work fine though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.