Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so ive been on windows since windows '95 on my original pentium PC
but ive been hearin about linux for a while now, and im just wondering what is the big deal about it? I know its gotta have its ups and if so many ppl are using it but what are the downs, one i think would be program/game compatability which totally turns me off but im just curious.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
It's just a sweet OS that will one day dominate the world...IMO.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Its about freedom. Linux is free. People write software that others are allowed to take and use and modify for them selfs. Windows charges Alot of money for there software and limits what you can do with it and the more people that use linux the more companys that will start making software for linux.

So the idea is to get as many people using linux as possible so this great free OS can also be surported by the companys making Games and stuff

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by MindOfChaos

Its about freedom. Linux is free. People write software that others are allowed to take and use and modify for them selfs. Windows charges Alot of money for there software and limits what you can do with it and the more people that use linux the more companys that will start making software for linux.

So the idea is to get as many people using linux as possible so this great free OS can also be surported by the companys making Games and stuff

Rep+
Sounds reasonable, i would help support it and use it (cuz im all for freeware programs and independent stuff) and i do look at bill gates like the devil, but i have my rig for gaming so i gotta stick with windows

·
Banned
2,177 Posts
yup just create a second partition and install your distro of linux on the seond partition (or you can have it on a second physical hard drive) and at boot you'll have an option to choose which O/S

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by General

you can also use programs to run windows software under linux or even windows!!

WINE is far from perfect.

·
Banned
2,177 Posts
Wine runs very few programs well (very buggy)... Its better to just dual boot, it takes what a whole minute to restart from 1 OS to the other, big deal... As a starter I'd suggest running Ubuntu, you'll be amazed how much faster linux is than windows (I can run 6 separate tabs of internet, movie, Music player, Openoffice.org and a few other insignificant programs while scrolling around with the XGL cube without any lag) and is far more stable on OCs

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex100

Wine runs very few programs well (very buggy)... Its better to just dual boot, it takes what a whole minute to restart from 1 OS to the other, big deal... As a starter I'd suggest running Ubuntu, you'll be amazed how much faster linux is than windows (I can run 6 separate tabs of internet, movie, Music player, Openoffice.org and a few other insignificant programs while scrolling around with the XGL cube without any lag) and is far more stable on OCs

There is some programs that do run fine. They are just rare.
Diablo II
Baludurs Gate
Warcraft III
World Of Warcraft (some times has problems)
Starcraft

http://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php

If the program you want to run has alot of Silver or worse ratings its going to be alot easier to duel boot. So its worth a look to see if your favirote application will run. But most of the time your out of luck.

Im not sure how good Celega is because I have not used it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts