Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
So, I was burning a CD with astroburn to try and erase all the data on another PC I will be selling. The burn failed, I took the CD our, but it was still present in My Computer. So I reboote. When I type in my password, it accepts it, and then I get a black screen with a cursor and SmartDoctor starts loading up. After that, nothing. When I try to open up task manager, it is very very painfully slow.

Luckily, I have 2 Windows installations on my PC (yey
). Right now I am posting from install #2. Install #2 works perfectly fine. Install #1.... Black screen :S

Things I have tried
Startup Repair - Says it found no errors?
Chkdsk - Twice, running now for a third time, each time it has found errors.

I am at a loss here.
Merci OCN.

tl;dr: Was burning disks on windows install 1 with astroburn. Took out disk, my computer said it was still present. Restarted. Type in password, instead of desktop, black screen and cursor with smartdoctor and incredible slowness. Install 2 of windows works fine.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter on Toast
View Post

Hi all,
So, I was burning a CD with astroburn to try and erase all the data on another PC I will be selling. The burn failed, I took the CD our, but it was still present in My Computer. So I reboote. When I type in my password, it accepts it, and then I get a black screen with a cursor and SmartDoctor starts loading up. After that, nothing. When I try to open up task manager, it is very very painfully slow.

Luckily, I have 2 Windows installations on my PC (yey
). Right now I am posting from install #2. Install #2 works perfectly fine. Install #1.... Black screen :S

Things I have tried
Startup Repair - Says it found no errors?
Chkdsk - Twice, running now for a third time, each time it has found errors.

I am at a loss here.
Merci OCN.

have you tried starting up in safe mode?
the disk you used; have you used it before and if not did you just download it and throw the ISO on the CD?
i'm sure you have already done this but try cutting the power supply completely off and wait like 30 seconds before turning back on (prolly not the issue but i always try it and sometimes it has worked)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazzeedayz
View Post

have you tried starting up in safe mode?
the disk you used; have you used it before and if not did you just download it and throw the ISO on the CD?
i'm sure you have already done this but try cutting the power supply completely off and wait like 30 seconds before turning back on (prolly not the issue but i always try it and sometimes it has worked)

I tried Safe Mode: It took years. I just downloaded the ISO (DBAN) and threw it on the CD after reading a Znet article, yes. Will try power supply trick after Virus scan of the drive is complete
Thank you for the suggestions, +rep.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwiasian
View Post

Back up your data using a Live CD OS (Linux) then use DBAN to wipe the drive.

?
I think you didn't understand me well:
I burned DBAN to use on ANOTHER computer

The burn failed, so I rebooted (took out DBAN, of course) and windows no longer worked. Now I am on my second win install. The Windows I used to burn DBAN no longer boots properly.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed! After Googling for about 30 mins, I found that my problem was the Black Screen of Death. Funny most problems with Microsoft software have the word "death" attached to them.

What I did:
I ran chkdsk 4 times in different scenarios (at boot, within OS, GUI) - This allowed me to boot into safe mode.
Then, i used a little utility from PrevX called fixshell. Ta da! Will run full antivirus scan now.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter on Toast
View Post

Fixed! After Googling for about 30 mins, I found that my problem was the Black Screen of Death. Funny most problems with Microsoft software have the word "death" attached to them.

What I did:
I ran chkdsk 4 times in different scenarios (at boot, within OS, GUI) - This allowed me to boot into safe mode.
Then, i used a little utility from PrevX called fixshell. Ta da! Will run full antivirus scan now.

Thanks all.

right on man. glad to see you figured it out. good luck, hope ya didnt catch a virus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts