Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why my Windows XP Pro had to pause for about 5 sec doing nothing after loading the Windows Logo, after which then it starts to load.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
sp1 and I can only imagine sp2 greatly increase loading time.

Try a defrag to straighten up your file system.

SOMETIMES drivers can cause long loading times...have you done any XP tweaks?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421

sp1 and I can only imagine sp2 greatly increase loading time.

Try a defrag to straighten up your file system.

SOMETIMES drivers can cause long loading times...have you done any XP tweaks?

No, I did not do any XP tweaks. The loading of Windows XP actually takes only about 5 sec. But it's the pause before the hard drive actually starts to work which is taking another 5 sec. I've already defrag both my hard drive. Both are sata drives btw.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrilmatheren

No, I did not do any XP tweaks. The loading of Windows XP actually takes only about 5 sec. But it's the pause before the hard drive actually starts to work which is taking another 5 sec. I've already defrag both my hard drive. Both are sata drives btw.

Do you have a HD delay set in your bios?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Do you have a HD delay set in your bios?

Is there one? I'm using MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum bios v 1.20

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Most boards have the option of setting a delay for the HD in your bios. Most of the time the default setting is 0 (for no delay) but its worth looking into.

How long does it take to boot into windows (from "off" to the desktop showing up?)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Most boards have the option of setting a delay for the HD in your bios. Most of the time the default setting is 0 (for no delay) but its worth looking into.

How long does it take to boot into windows (from "off" to the desktop showing up?)

The timing is from (after post + detection ide / sata devices) to (desktop showing up).

By the way, its faster now, don't know why, the pause seemed to have disappeared.

And, I can't find the option for HD delay in my BIOS. I'm using MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum with BIOS v1.20.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:

The timing is from (after post + detection ide / sata devices) to (desktop showing up).

By the way, its faster now, don't know why, the pause seemed to have disappeared.

And, I can't find the option for HD delay in my BIOS. I'm using MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum with BIOS v1.20.

that version of the bios you have for your board actually doesnt allow for much, and it does have delay preset to [1] (on).
Irecommend bios upgrade (flash) to newer version of bios it will give you greater control over your setting and will greatly enhance your overclock-ability (is that even a word????????????)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoVeGeTa

that version of the bios you have for your board actually doesnt allow for much, and it does have delay preset to [1] (on).
Irecommend bios upgrade (flash) to newer version of bios it will give you greater control over your setting and will greatly enhance your overclock-ability (is that even a word????????????)

I've just updated the bios to v1.30. Now the detection works but, the system hangs after detecting the SATA drives and couldn't get into the bios. I had to reset the bios manually using the jumpers to get it to work again. Tried a few times already.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh I've forgot to add in. Are the HDD delay settings found in the hidden bios or just there. Because the new v1.30 bios also doesn't show it. And by the way, how to actually get into the hidden settings. I couldn't get in no matter how I try.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That particular setting is not a hidden setting as you put it.
It should be visible in your normal bios serttings.
As for the hang that could be due to the bios not supporting the sata drives.
Try looking for your sata drivers and updating if possible, if you get the same problem, uninstall the drivers remove the sata connections, reboot, makesure all sata related strings removed from registry.
Then shutdown, reconnect sata cables and power to drives,
boot up and let windows search for drives and use your drivers disk and that should take care of that.
When you flash your bios, it actually overwrites all previous settings, in the bios but not the cmos, but because you said you reset the cmos by changing jumper settings you cleared all saved settings so the new bios is at default settings with no hardware profiles stored.
Doing the above should rectify that problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by FoRmEd

If you are talkinga bout the words that apear to be gray and you cant scroll to them... you cant get to them unless you unlock something that has key involement with that component....

The options I've selected are yellow in colour. Which are stated in the bios, High Performance Settings. I can select them, even those are coded red, (may be unstable) can also be selected.

Quote:

That particular setting is not a hidden setting as you put it.
It should be visible in your normal bios serttings.
As for the hang that could be due to the bios not supporting the sata drives.
Try looking for your sata drivers and updating if possible, if you get the same problem, uninstall the drivers remove the sata connections, reboot, makesure all sata related strings removed from registry.
Then shutdown, reconnect sata cables and power to drives,
boot up and let windows search for drives and use your drivers disk and that should take care of that.
When you flash your bios, it actually overwrites all previous settings, in the bios but not the cmos, but because you said you reset the cmos by changing jumper settings you cleared all saved settings so the new bios is at default settings with no hardware profiles stored.
Doing the above should rectify that problem.

The options are as mentioned by users who bought the board, required to press Shift+F2 then Alt+F3. Some mentioned before the bios starts, some mentioned while inside the bios. And I do not see any "extra options" as mentioned by them in the normal bios. Was wondering what were the settings allowed in it.

And as for the SATA drives, they are supported even though I overclocked the FSB to 225 FSB @ 1.50V. Only when I raised the voltage to 1.55V, the drives fail to detect. I'm using a 425W PSU by the way. With the new bios, the SATA drives are detected. But this time, I can't enter the bios or load windows because the system hangs after the detection of IDE / SATA drives.

As for flashing the bios and clearing the CMOS. Correct, flashing and reset the CMOS did clear all my previous settings. But, I've setup the bios to what I've used at stock speed before I tried overclocking again. Its only when I've tried to raise the VCore to 1.55V then the problem comes up again. I've tried 1.525V and it was ok. But it failed to load windows so I've decided to up it to 1.55V.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds like your o'c-ing and raising the vcore is the main problem and nothing else!
Have you added some thing to keep temps down?
more fans perhaps, or water-cooled your sys?
I think you should atleast be able to reach that vcore setting with no probs
but dont quote me on that!
Drop your vcore down a notch or two, just until you get system to start.
Keep a record of your bios settings (the usual, FSB, Multiplier (if applicable),Vcore), then restart your o'c-ing.
I'm sure you know this already, but i'm gonna say it anyway,
do your o'c-ing in small steps, then test your sys for stability.
If you just do what someone else has done it will not always work the same
way, as i'm sure you are aware of.
One systems settings are another systems DEATH!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Sounds like your o'c-ing and raising the vcore is the main problem and nothing else!
Have you added some thing to keep temps down?
more fans perhaps, or water-cooled your sys?
I think you should atleast be able to reach that vcore setting with no probs
but dont quote me on that!
Drop your vcore down a notch or two, just until you get system to start.
Keep a record of your bios settings (the usual, FSB, Multiplier (if applicable),Vcore), then restart your o'c-ing.
I'm sure you know this already, but i'm gonna say it anyway,
do your o'c-ing in small steps, then test your sys for stability.
If you just do what someone else has done it will not always work the same
way, as i'm sure you are aware of.
One systems settings are another systems DEATH!

I'm using a Zalman CNPS7000-A Cu + some AS5 to cool my system. By the way, the system have already post, so I should see an error while loading windows if its unstable. But, can't enter the bios? I think thats another problem.

I've done the overclocking myself and not following others. The best I got so far was 225 FSB at 1.50V and 1.525V. Its only when I tried 1.55V it doesn't work. The cooling was ok when it was at the above 2 settings but windows was not stable at 1.525V so I try increase voltage. Was there anything wrong settings I've done?

The memory settings are set to the lowest, HTT at 4x And the AGP was set to 67 MHz because it was mentioned to work only at 67 or 68 i think.

·
Registered
19 Posts
the only thing i can advise you to do is to reset cmos and start again!
nothing about what youve just stated looks wrong but you can never be sure!
Windows/Computer instability is due to memory(RAM)o'c-ing and not liking it very much.
I'mno o'c-ing expert but reset and start again is what i have had to do a lot of!
It works and you can always try something different next time anyway (hence the need to jot down bios settings or just what you changed!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

the only thing i can advise you to do is to reset cmos and start again!
nothing about what youve just stated looks wrong but you can never be sure!
Windows/Computer instability is due to memory(RAM)o'c-ing and not liking it very much.
I'mno o'c-ing expert but reset and start again is what i have had to do a lot of!
It works and you can always try something different next time anyway (hence the need to jot down bios settings or just what you changed!

Well, I'll try again. But the main problem now in this thread is the windows pausing for a while before begining to load. Wondering if anyone has this problem too. As for the HDD delay settings, I can't find it even in the new bios.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nah, no probs like that for me!
It could be to that your cpu is 64 bit, but it might not be aswell!
Not entirely sure!
Reset it all, leave it at stock settings, and see if you still have the same problems m8!
If you are still getting the same probs it is more than likely a Hardware issue eg;
RAM or CPU
There are a million and one variables m8, so you gotta keep trying until it
works right and runs stable!

Just an extra thought,
it might just be the sata m8!
are you running a raid configuration?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Nah, no probs like that for me!
It could be to that your cpu is 64 bit, but it might not be aswell!
Not entirely sure!
Reset it all, leave it at stock settings, and see if you still have the same problems m8!
If you are still getting the same probs it is more than likely a Hardware issue eg;
RAM or CPU
There are a million and one variables m8, so you gotta keep trying until it
works right and runs stable!

Just an extra thought,
it might just be the sata m8!
are you running a raid configuration?

I'm not using raid, the pause happens on both stock settings and overclocked.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:

I'm not using raid, the pause happens on both stock settings and overclocked.

m8, you wanna set them up in a raid configuration, this will drastically speed up the HDD access times!
For what raid configuration you should look at i'm not sure, you
will have to do some research on that one!
But i can guarantee that once you have installed raid drivers, your HDD's
will seem to access really fast!
Look it up, and try it out!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts