Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I have really weird problems going on with Windows XP. First of all, when I start my comp sometimes, the volume tray does not always appear, it was ordered though in services.msc and sound and audio devices. Second, I did a repair installation, but now 1 times on 3, when I start windows Xp Home Edition SP2, the blue bar just stops, and then the whole window is frozen. I turn off my compuer, reboot it, and then it says: "Windows have not being shut down correclty" or so, but sometimes, I cannot even highlight my choices (safe mode, last known good configuration....) because it seems my keyboard is not responding. But then if it boots correctly, it works. Sometimes two, it says something like:
ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt, though, the other times, I just boot and ntoskrnl is not required. My PC is working fine though. But these problems seems it's unstable sometimes.
And sometimes, when I boot, the window just freeze up, on my desktop.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Is the system overclocked at all?

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got it to 3,8 GHz before, but then I did not experience way better performance so I clocked it back to 3,4 GHz, but now the temp got higher from 3 degrees (before, it was normally 33, now it's mostly around 36 degrees celcius). But there are no error beeps on boot. My cas latency is not aggressive.
So no overclocking.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Set it to default/auto and see if it persists. If so then you probably have a hardware failure of some sort.

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Default in BIOS?
What kind of hardware failure?

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Yes...default speeds/timings in bios. Possibly a psu going bad or hdd could be failing.

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, I forgot to add that Windows XP is installed on a SATA 300 hard drive. SATA was released after windows xp release, so XP was made to run on IDE hard drives. So I used a controller, but during the installation, it said that the controller did not pass some kind of test, I said ignore, could it be the reason?

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
You might have a corrupted windows install. A reformat is always a possibility.

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I did some kind of reformat. I did a upgrade using the CD that I used to install Windows.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
You need to have a floppy disk containing the SATA drivers for your motherboard.
Promise 20779 SATA driver (Preinstall driver, press F6 during Windows* setup to read from floppy) O.S. : Windows 2000,Windows XP

http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/mot...8N-SLI%20Royal

Reinstall your OS. Not a repair but a fresh new install. When you see "Press F6" prompted at the bottom of the screen do it. Be sure you have the promise SATA driver in the floppy drive when you do this and the OS will pick it up for installation.

Then continue your install,

R

·
Registered
607 Posts
Did not pass windows logo something ... ? Correct? Yeah, then you have a SATA driver issue. A clean install, like mentioned above will solve the problem as long as you have a floppy w/ the drivers on it and hit F6 as soon as the windows CD start up. It doesn't give you much time, so make sure you have your finger on the F6 key.

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay thanks guys, but there is an eventual other way. I can do this repair install, and during the repair install they prompt me for a SATA controller. Great help thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
I would personally do a fresh install and when everything is up and running perfectly I would then create an image of the partition so that should this or any other problem occur you can have your fresh install back in 10 minutes.

If you want to know how to perform such an image creation you can request help in the software section. There are many who will walk you through the simple process.

R

1 - 14 of 14 Posts