Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a small but VERY annoying thing... I started working for a large company that has some group policy set (which overrides all local policies apparently) that prevents me from using anything but the windows xp classic menu.

I really miss my recently used app list from the start menu...

If I go to the Start Menu tab under properties, there is -only- the classic start menu button... and a big blank area above that where the xp menu selection used to be.

I have tried registry hacks (NoSimpleStartMenu set to 0), as well as group policy edits with gpedit.msc- no amount of tweaking or rebooting has gotten this back

Am I SOL? Is there anything I can do besides going to the IT department with a request? Maybe there a 3rd party app I could install that could replace my recently used apps list?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicros
View Post

So this is a small but VERY annoying thing... I started working for a large company that has some group policy set (which overrides all local policies apparently) that prevents me from using anything but the windows xp classic menu.

I really miss my recently used app list from the start menu...

If I go to the Start Menu tab under properties, there is -only- the classic start menu button... and a big blank area above that where the xp menu selection used to be.

I have tried registry hacks (NoSimpleStartMenu set to 0), as well as group policy edits with gpedit.msc- no amount of tweaking or rebooting has gotten this back

Am I SOL? Is there anything I can do besides going to the IT department with a request? Maybe there a 3rd party app I could install that could replace my recently used apps list?

You cannot change this, and nor will the IT department change it. I don't know what the reasons are, but they have their reasons and that's all that should really matter. After all, they're paying you to work for them, and they chose you out of all the other applicants. But just so you don't go nuts, I recommend asking the IT department why every machine has to be identical to one another.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

You cannot change this, and nor will the IT department change it. I don't know what the reasons are, but they have their reasons and that's all that should really matter. After all, they're paying you to work for them, and they chose you out of all the other applicants. But just so you don't go nuts, I recommend asking the IT department why every machine has to be identical to one another.

It's a corporate environment. All machines and OS's installed in corporate environments are uniformed for a reason. This way if you have a problem, it's either something local to your machine (this means you messed up) or it's a problem affecting all machines.

Honestly though, the only thing you can even try to do is request local admin rights to your machine but without a credible reason they'll deny you and wonder why you requested it in the first place.

·
4GHz
1,767 Posts
I Don't suppose you could install Launchy with those group policies set, could you? I like it MUCH more than the Start Menu, just type in the name of the program and hit enter.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DEC_42
View Post

I Don't suppose you could install Launchy with those group policies set, could you? I like it MUCH more than the Start Menu, just type in the name of the program and hit enter.

I've had over a dozen different jobs where I got to use a computer to do my job. But, I could never install anything due to the privileges my Windows account had. But that was fine with me because if we were ever caught hacking the computer just to install something harmless, then we would have gotten in trouble because that only makes the IT department's job harder. They need every single machine to be exactly the way they set them - and when you're talking about several different machines, that usually means they all need to be perfectly identical.

Now, of course users have the freedom to change certain things like the screensaver, and maybe even the theme, but that's it. After all, that's not your computer, so it's important to accept it the way it is.

However, there may be a possible exception if you can prove that the changes you want to make will make you more efficient/faster at your job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts