Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know, this is crazy, but.....I have a few extra 250GB HD's and decided to put them to use. I'm pretty sure I have done this before but I'm having a helluva time this time around. I am trying to install Windows XP Pro onto an external USB HD.
Following these instructions https://www.techspot.com/community/...windows-on-an-external-usb-hard-drive.116114/ (and, yes, I found the error in the USBBOOT file), nLite and a legit copy of WindowsXP Pro, added AHCI drivers,, unplugged all internal drives and commence to pull my hair out.
I can get so far as to actually complete the installation process, (installing devices, saving settings, etc) and get to what I think is the final reboot. Once it boots up, just as soon as the boot screen exits, I get a BSOD. It''s too quick to see what cryptic error code it may be showing.
I have copies of the few .ini and inf files I edited if anyone needs to see them.
I want to figure this out. Why? To see if I can do it.
Hey, it keeps me busy.

Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind. It looks to be more trouble than it's worth. I'll just put Linux back on. Thanks anyway.

·
Overclocker in training
13,953 Posts
Hi,
You show no build/ hardware you're using besides an extra hdd you have laying around :)
I believe any external would have be at the least esata to install an os on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi,
You show no build/ hardware you're using besides an extra hdd you have laying around :)
I believe any external would have be at the least esata to install an os on.
The external HD is a Seagate 250GB in an external drive enclosure (SATA USB 3.0). My system (my rig doesn't show up anymore?) is an ASUS M5A99X, FX-8350, 32GB Corsair Veangence RAM, Windows 10 on a Samsung 850 Pro SSD and Windows 7 on a 2TB Seagate HD. There are two other internal HD's for storage. I have 4 external drives, all in SATA USB 3.0 boxes.

I have had LinuxMint 17 installed on the external drive for some time. I know, Linux works differently.

Does that help?

I'm basically just doing this for fun. I thought I had done this a few years ago but I don't remember what I had to do to get it to work properly. Getting old sucks.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,822 Posts
I tried installing Windows XP on an internal drive (for dem extra HWBOT points in SuperPi) following similar instructions for Z170 and wasn't able to get things working correctly.

Hopefully things work better for you :)

·
Overclocker in training
13,953 Posts
Hi,
Any reason VMWare is not being used to run x-p ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,
Any reason VMWare is not being used to run x-p ?
I DO have WinXP running in VMware, along with MacOSX and RHEL. I just wanted to put it on another drive, just in case. I'm running Win7 on one drive and Win10 on a SSD. I do things like this mostly as an excersize. I do it because I can. My wife thinks I'm nuts. Hey, it keeps me off the streets.

·
I break warranties.
170 Posts
I know, this is crazy, but.....I have a few extra 250GB HD's and decided to put them to use. I'm pretty sure I have done this before but I'm having a helluva time this time around. I am trying to install Windows XP Pro onto an external USB HD.
Following these instructions https://www.techspot.com/community/...windows-on-an-external-usb-hard-drive.116114/ (and, yes, I found the error in the USBBOOT file), nLite and a legit copy of WindowsXP Pro, added AHCI drivers,, unplugged all internal drives and commence to pull my hair out.
I can get so far as to actually complete the installation process, (installing devices, saving settings, etc) and get to what I think is the final reboot. Once it boots up, just as soon as the boot screen exits, I get a BSOD. It''s too quick to see what cryptic error code it may be showing.
I have copies of the few .ini and inf files I edited if anyone needs to see them.
I want to figure this out. Why? To see if I can do it.
Hey, it keeps me busy.

Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind. It looks to be more trouble than it's worth. I'll just put Linux back on. Thanks anyway.
Geez....I submitted this under an old login of mine. No wonder my rig didn't show up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts