Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently got a computer working from my childhood that has Windows XP on it. I am wanting to clean install it but I do not have the install cd's and the winnt32 trick does not work.

Anywhere to get the ISO for it?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Microsoft Dreamspark is eventually an option. (easiest way for students)

Don´t know other ways to get a free iso of XP.
Maybe a CD + Key from ebay or amazon?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRohk View Post

Microsoft Dreamspark is eventually an option. (easiest way for students)

Don´t know other ways to get a free iso of XP.
Maybe a CD + Key from ebay or amazon?
I was thinking of just having to buy the cd online, but was hoping the file was somewhere for me to download.

I tried some 3rd party sketchy site. The computer is so old it didn't recognize the usb plugged into it to boot off of lol.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well I have a computer that is AT LEAST 10 years old, probably older running XP. It is very slow with a max 512k RAM (seriously!). But I still use it for a few legacy things.

I just received today a brand new custom build (around an ASUS H81 mobo) computer dual boot XP & W7. 32 bit so I only got 4GB RAM.

The manufacturer is NIXSYS. I don't know if they can or will sell XP w/o a computer it's installed on but worth a try. Sales support VERY helpful.

While I have the forum, is anybody else running XP for legacy applications? I hear about gamers doing it.

OG

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
Windows update has ended. I wouldn't be surprised if activation has ended for home users.

As for an iso, check amazon or ebay as stated. Probably can find a retail version fairly cheap. I'm unaware of Microsoft ever releasing a xp iso in the wild to end home users.

I feel for legacy programs there are better options.

·
Iconoclast
30,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensystemsgo View Post

Windows update has ended. I wouldn't be surprised if activation has ended for home users.
Windows Update and activation still work for Windows XP. No new updates have been published for some time, but you can still use WIndows Update to download the ones that exist (and you can use the Windows Catalog to download Server 2003 updates, which was maintained longer and is compatible with XP).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnad View Post

You got to let XP go, let it run the wild fields of OS heaven. You can get a 10 key for ~$20. What legacy programs you have that won't run on 7 or 10?
Windows XP is faster on quite a few older systems than either of these, and it will fit on much smaller drives.

I have XP on an old netbook that has a 4GB SSD, and there is plenty of room to spare.

·
EhmayWuntee
1,415 Posts
Is it much work to turn a CD into an ISO?

I should have my old XP disk in the closet so I might be able to burn it or whatever it would be called to convert to an ISO.
Not that I plan to use it, but as long as I don't actually provide the Windows Key the disk itself wouldn't compromise my license it'd just be a generic install disk correct?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensystemsgo View Post

Windows Update and activation still work for Windows XP. No new updates have been published for some time, but you can still use WIndows Update to download the ones that exist (and you can use the Windows Catalog to download Server 2003 updates, which was maintained longer and is compatible with XP).
Quote:

You got to let XP go, let it run the wild fields of OS heaven. You can get a 10 key for ~$20. What legacy programs you have that won't run on 7 or 10?
Windows XP is faster on quite a few older systems than either of these, and it will fit on much smaller drives.

I have XP on an old netbook that has a 4GB SSD, and there is plenty of room to spare.
That didn't answer my question...

·
Iconoclast
30,424 Posts
Quote:

That didn't answer my question...
I can't answer for the OP. I'm just pointing out that there are situations where XP is viable where 7 or 10 are not.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Quote:

You got to let XP go, let it run the wild fields of OS heaven. What legacy programs you have that won't run on 7 or 10?
It's not just OS$ Time=$. Reliable access to irreplaceable data = $$$.

I have one or two very arcane programs including one that converts metes and bounds land deed descriptions into a survey. I have many years of business e-mails in OE6 format that I don't want to go through converting to Outlook or another e-mail client format. As someone else noted, there are somethings in mainline programs that the XP versions do better.

The company that I just got the XP W7 dual boot computer from tells me they are shipping dozens of new XP (some dual boot) machines daily to Fortune 500 companies and the DoD.

XP will definitely not be the heavy use, day to day work machine. But it will be available on a reasonably modern, fast platform when needed.

And my Xeon machine with 24GB RAM has a FDD controller and a PATA connector on-board. Because now and then I need to access data on those media.

OG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts