Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is everyone? I hope everything is good, I still building my new computer and I'm building it to be a monster, but I was wondering if I could get some of you folk's opinions on XP Pro or Linux Pro? 1st of all is the price differance and 2nd I'm almost to the point of being tired of trying to deal with Microsoft, I was wondering would it be worth it to go to a differant OS or stay with Windows because most all programs will work with Windows and I have heard alot of things won't with Linux, the price is not really an issue, and I've even considered buying bothe and use a dual boot or install Linux on a spare computer I have just to see if I like it, if you have any in put or opinions let me know you can leave them on here or email me at [email protected] I would just like to hear some opinions good or bad. Thanks alot folks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
Do both and Dual Boot. A lot of people here Dual Boot Fedora Core and Windows XP Professional. And dont get suckered into paying for Linux you can get VERY good distros for Free, just a cross section:

Gentoo
Fedora Core 1/2
Mandrake (good for beginners)
Debian

My Personal favorite is Fedora Core 2 and Gentoo, the only problem is that Gentoo is an insanely difficult install (at least it was for me).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,363 Posts
i wouldnt just go for linux cause of its compatibilty issues i would dual boot or run a virtual machine and if your a gamer and go for linux that means no games
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ThE_GeNeRaL

i wouldnt just go for linux cause of its compatibilty issues i would dual boot or run a virtual machine and if your a gamer and go for linux that means no games

I say go to Fedora core 2 and WinXP, you may have some issues when setting up the dual boot, but when it is done you will be glad you did.
Download Fedora for free from www.redhat.com
and purchase winxp

Use linux for most aspects of your computer use, because of the free apps.
And use WInxp for your gaming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by NoSpark3

How is everyone? I hope everything is good, I still building my new computer and I'm building it to be a monster, but I was wondering if I could get some of you folk's opinions on XP Pro or Linux Pro? 1st of all is the price differance and 2nd I'm almost to the point of being tired of trying to deal with Microsoft, I was wondering would it be worth it to go to a differant OS or stay with Windows because most all programs will work with Windows and I have heard alot of things won't with Linux, the price is not really an issue, and I've even considered buying bothe and use a dual boot or install Linux on a spare computer I have just to see if I like it, if you have any in put or opinions let me know you can leave them on here or email me at [email protected] I would just like to hear some opinions good or bad. Thanks alot folks.

I never knew there was a Linux Pro.

Just search LinuxISO online and download and burn it.
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
NoSpark3 said:
Quote:


Originally Posted by lilsmarty

I never knew there was a Linux Pro.

Sorry my wording was wrong I think it was Linux Office

Don't even both buying any special linux version, go with Fedora 32-bit or Fedora 64-bit, depeneding on what CPU you are using.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
955 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by mfillpot

Don't even both buying any special linux version, go with Fedora 32-bit or Fedora 64-bit, depeneding on what CPU you are using.

Holy ****... there is a 64-bit Fedora... the only 64-bit i found was mandrake... but I need to try before i buy... honest because i've had previous linux's that were no good....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
955 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by mfillpot

Here's your link to Fedora 64-bit

cool... but thanks to this thread I checked suprnova again and its working now... so imma start downloading mandrake 64... im gonna be dual booting on my 64 rig... i remember trying that back in the redhat 6 days.... back then it wasn't quite far enough along for me... i have a linux book... but now i'm old enough to understand it...

EDIT:http://anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2114 It looks like Suse is better...

EDIT: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/lin...9116808,00.htm nice... stick it to the man!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
First - a triple boot is ridiculous waste of space and time.

Second - I suggest don't go linux, go FreeBSD 64bit 5.5.3 beta release, faster then windows even with windows games. Or go FreeBSD 32bit 5.5.3 release, you can download the ISO's off FreeBSD.org.

Thirdly - If you don't have a frigin clue about Linux or Unix or W/E do a dual boot so you can also have something you do understand. My biggest problem is I jumped over so I had to do a lot of work that I ended up burning.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
955 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by MrSmiley

First - a triple boot is ridiculous waste of space and time.

Second - I suggest don't go linux, go FreeBSD 64bit 5.5.3 beta release, faster then windows even with windows games. Or go FreeBSD 32bit 5.5.3 release, you can download the ISO's off FreeBSD.org.

Thirdly - If you don't have a frigin clue about Linux or Unix or W/E do a dual boot so you can also have something you do understand. My biggest problem is I jumped over so I had to do a lot of work that I ended up burning.

I disagree that it is a waste of time. For the time being there are many options that one may want to try. For example I would love to try each linux to find the best one. Also windows 64... which is not fully ready yet. And then the standard windows XP to fall back on. But I know you are just stating an opinion so that's ok.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,589 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by MrSmiley

First - a triple boot is ridiculous waste of space and time.

Second - I suggest don't go linux, go FreeBSD 64bit 5.5.3 beta release, faster then windows even with windows games. Or go FreeBSD 32bit 5.5.3 release, you can download the ISO's off FreeBSD.org.

Thirdly - If you don't have a frigin clue about Linux or Unix or W/E do a dual boot so you can also have something you do understand. My biggest problem is I jumped over so I had to do a lot of work that I ended up burning.

Do not presume to tell me what is a waste of time and space...especially when the reason for doing a triple boot would be for testing purposes.

The 2 computers I would do it on, 1 is a folding rig, and the other is a laptop. I won't risk the laptop, but the folding rig does nothing but...folding.

Thank you for the lead to freebsd...but please state your opinions less abrasively
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top