Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brothers computer automatically restarts when he plugs in his witless USB network adaptor. Also, whenever he opens My Documents, he gets a Windows Explorer error. He said this all started happening after his HDD went over the limit when he was downloading music.

I'm not sure if this matters but he doesn't have a genuine copy of windows and he hasn't installed the Linksys program from the cd. My first instinct was to uninstall but no program existed.

The exact model is a Linksys 2.4GHz Wireless G. Model number: WUSB54G version 4

Any help is reatly appreciated. If any more info is needed I'll try to get it but I'm on my iPhone 3G and it's really slow. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
a) go genuine, or atleast a better copy?

b) it wont work without drivers

c) usb port is probably damaged causing a short, unrelated to the my doc's issue

d) over the limit? cant really go OVER the limit, your limited to how big your hard drive is, no bigger. If its full, or near full major issues will arise.

e) check for virus's - super antispyware gets my vote. gogogo.

ps - f limewire.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Download CCleaner, clean up the hard drive of usless garbage, then start burning stuff to a DVD or CD to get it off of your computer, obviously you can't use everything, and you want a backup anyway.

Once your hard drive is clean, plug it back in, if the system crashes, then I would suspect you have an error in your motherboard, pull off the side panel and look at the capacitors.
. _
_||_ << Tall Cylinders wrapped in black plastic or coating with a shiny top (often with cross hairs)
(Sometimes Capacitors are made up of all shiny metal only.)

If the capacitors aren't 100% flat on the very top, they are bad, you will need to replace your motherboard. Remember even a slight bubble = a bad Capacitor, which will make you have hardware issues..

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome. Thanks for the responses guys. And I know, you can't go over the limit, but my brother said he did (he's an idiot and thinks he knows everything) and there was no convincing him.

Thing is, it worked before with no drivers! That's what is really thumping me in the head. I'll check for everything else.

Here's an example of how dumb he is. My father works for a college here in my city. He is legally allowed to have a Genuine copy of all Windows operating systems in his home and put it on any computer he wishes. I told my bro this and, of course, he doesn't want it because "he doesn't want to change ANYTHING". He's so anal lol

Cheers guys +REP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts