Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See Post 49 for Updates!!

After doing reading articles like this and OCNs very own Windows Optimizer Guides part 1 and 2, i thought it would be handy to make a script that would make all (or some) of the registry changes that are listed in those guides. that way a person could just run the script instead of meticulously going through the registry forever just to change a few keys. i've made a small script containing some registry fixes to speed up your machine. i'll be updated when i can.

let me know if theres anything i should add or if you have problems.

i have attatched the file in zip folder. here is also a list of what it does.

Keep windows operating data in main memory.
Disable 8.3 naming convention.
Stop 'last access update' timestamp
Force XP to unload DLL files after closing a program
Increase shutdown speeds
Disable showing last username when logging in
Allows you to rename the Recycle Bin just like any other file/folder
Make Start menus load faster
Alphabetize program list in start menu

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i was able to figure it out and i added just a few things in there, i will probably add more later.

i couldn't get the export function to work, so please backup your registry before using this. it worked fine on my computer though

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
of course, as it is now if you view the script it is well commented on everything it is doing, but i will also provide a list of what it does as well. heres what it does so far and i'm still working on getting the auto export to work and a few other things.

;Keep windows operating data in main memory.
;Disable 8.3 naming convention.
;Stop 'last access update' timestamp
;Force XP to unload DLL files after closing a program
;Increase shutdown speeds

Edit: also note that this has been created and tested on XP pro

·
Registered
825 Posts
woot
this seems like a handy tool
REP+ for ur effort mate

solely effort because this did absolutly nothing

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
That seems very nice. Does it change anything visually?

I like how my OS runs but this couldn't hurt... right? I've always been one to stay away from tweaks like this because 9 times out of 10 things don't work right for me afterwards.

·
Administrator
64,377 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigvaL
View Post

That seems very nice. Does it change anything visually?

I like how my OS runs but this couldn't hurt... right? I've always been one to stay away from tweaks like this because 9 times out of 10 things don't work right for me afterwards.

Well I would personally warn ALL people about this kind of thing.

This is a great effort. However I must stress to you that a Script changing multiple registry settings could potentially cause you problems. If you get a problem from a script you wont be able to pinpoint which particular registry change is causing you the problem. Thus why in my guides I state that you should really do them ONE BY ONE and backup your Registry.

This is an * At your own risk * thread really.

I am not bashing mate. I think its a great job. However I had to warn members of potential risk to there OS.

·
Premium Member
10,432 Posts
It is completely possible to simply copy/paste the registry strings(from whatever source) to a .txt file and then convert it to a .reg file...

Anyone who has tampered with the registry extensively has one of these saved to an unknown email account just so they won't have to do each one manually...LOL

I'm not bashing either but they are a many links where you can copy those exact strings from.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
For the back up, ad it to the C drive.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
The first thing I ALWAYS do when reformatting is change the InitialKeyboardIndicators to 2. This ensures NumLock is on when you power up and login. May want to add that in there. Also, if you have any other programming experience, perhaps a simple GUI with a few buttons that connects to each registry key. Then people can pick and choose the mods they want to do, but it's still as simple as clicking a button.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
eh, i could probably do the gui in vb, but i haven't done that in so long haha. thanks for the input everyone. i realize that adding a list of registry changes into one file isn't the most complex thing in the world to do
but i just thought it would be handy to have them all in one place.

EDIT: i've also noticed that if you use Advanced Windows Care, then it does most of these things too

1 - 20 of 84 Posts