Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source



Quote:


The Molecule computer can handle 20,000 threads of execution, about 40 times more than a single rack x86 cluster system and was designed around an Intel Atom N330 chip, says SGI.

The computer would offer the computing power and memory bandwidth of more than 750 high-end PCs, yet it would consume less than half the power and less than 1.4 percent of the physical space.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,202 Posts
Do this with 10,000 4870s or GTX280s. The power would be incomparable. Although limited. Mainly i'm getting at the potential of the Atom isn't what i would desire for a system like that. Needs that non-x86 spark of life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,198 Posts
Imagine if dust blocks some of the air flow...

Quote:


Originally Posted by Licht
View Post

Needs that non-x86 spark of life.

Yep, OpenSPARC is a good one
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,202 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by metala
View Post

Yep, OpenSPARC is a good one


Meh, you know what i mean, standard x86 CPU aren't suited for this line of work. Well the Opterons are pretty nice for it... but i think super computing lies in the hands of the (G)GPUs of the future. Or custom made CPU/GPU/Etc. Massively parallel applications i hope to see standard within my time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
whatever, not impressed. Pails in comparison to wetare brain implants =P I cant wait for those. WE ARE THE BORG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,594 Posts
Can it be OCed? um.... and y not do this with 10000 GTX280 and create a MONSTER
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,641 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by BizzareRide
View Post

But can it...

...RUN CRYSIS!(You thought I wasn't gonna say it huh, come on, admit it)

*reads too fast to think*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
The point of this wasn't 10000 of the best or fastest cores (g200 cores and stuff) it was placing 10,000 cores in a cluster and having it draw little power for the computing power it offered.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,637 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Licht View Post
Do this with 10,000 4870s or GTX280s. The power would be incomparable. Although limited. Mainly i'm getting at the potential of the Atom isn't what i would desire for a system like that. Needs that non-x86 spark of life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takendown2 View Post
Can it be OCed? um.... and y not do this with 10000 GTX280 and create a MONSTER

You'd need an onsite nuclear reactor to power that
oh, and uhh permanent LN2 cooling
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by r34p3rex View Post
You'd need an onsite nuclear reactor to power that
oh, and uhh permanent LN2 cooling
With the right funding...

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by r34p3rex View Post
You'd need an onsite nuclear reactor to power that
oh, and uhh permanent LN2 cooling
Exactly. What seems like hte biggest draw for this to me isn't the it's computational power. It's the fact that it can achieve it at "less than half the power". The tiny size is pretty cool too, but the power requirements are ridiculous.

A few GTX280s, or 4870s or whatever and you're already using more power than it.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought this would eventually happen when reading some of the articles just after the atom was first announced. Although it's got to be extremely expensive. So awesome, still.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
If ATI and Nvidia would just shrink the cores more, the power/performance ratio would be alot better. So alot more people would adopt them because they do perform better in those kinds of environments. And yes its costs loads of money to shink a fab, but eventually they'll do it and optimize everything to get the right power/performance ratio.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,637 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by tylor3600
View Post

If ATI and Nvidia would just shrink the cores more, the power/performance ratio would be alot better. So alot more people would adopt them because they do perform better in those kinds of environments. And yes its costs loads of money to shink a fab, but eventually they'll do it and optimize everything to get the right power/performance ratio.


they're going to 40nm soon so let's see where that gets them
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,202 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by r34p3rex
View Post

You'd need an onsite nuclear reactor to power that
oh, and uhh permanent LN2 cooling

My point was that the performance isn't what a 10,000 core computer should be.
The normal run of the mill x86 chip isn't suited for it, especially not a Core/Core2/Netburst/<anything other then K8,K10,K10.5, or Nahalem's architecture... Core 3 wasn't it?>.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,555 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Licht
View Post

Do this with 10,000 4870s or GTX280s. The power would be incomparable. Although limited. Mainly i'm getting at the potential of the Atom isn't what i would desire for a system like that. Needs that non-x86 spark of life.


Quote:


Originally Posted by Licht
View Post

Meh, you know what i mean, standard x86 CPU aren't suited for this line of work. Well the Opterons are pretty nice for it... but i think super computing lies in the hands of the (G)GPUs of the future. Or custom made CPU/GPU/Etc. Massively parallel applications i hope to see standard within my time.

Power consumption, and heat.

Quote:


Originally Posted by Takendown2
View Post

Can it be OCed? um.... and y not do this with 10000 GTX280 and create a MONSTER

Power consumption, and heat.

The problem with these is that the atom draws VERY little, and runs very cool, along with they cost less, even if its more "economical" to buy the 280's, the power consumption between the two would make a difference very shortly after purchasing.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top