Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Quote:
Astronomers have spied a distant black hole in the act of creating the galaxy that will eventually become its home.

By sending a jet of gas and highly energetic particles into a neighboring galaxy, the black hole has touched off star formation at a rate 100 times the galactic average.

“Our study suggests that supermassive black holes can trigger the formation of stars, thus ‘building’ their own host galaxies,†David Elbaz, lead author of a paper on the work in the journal Astronomy and Astrophysics, said in a press release. “This link could also explain why galaxies hosting larger black holes have more stars.â€
Source.

In other words, we're watching the birth of the Milky Way. The sun's estimated to be around 5 billion years old too. Give or take a few hundred million years, this formation we're observing happened about the same time as the formation of our sun.

How awesome is that?

·
Hold on to your butts!
3,213 Posts
If we could figure out a way to get to that galaxy in time for the dinosaur age I would like to cook me up some dino steak.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,793 Posts
It's hypotheses that almost every galaxy had a black hole in the middle including our own.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunderman456 View Post
It's hypotheses that almost every galaxy had a black hole in the middle including our own.
I believe it is a theory now about supermassive black holes. Is it only spiral or all galaxies?

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts

OT:
That's amazing
, I love these sort of articles, space has always fascinated me!

·
Dream with your eyes open
3,837 Posts
Thats cool, wonder how big ours is

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cl04k3d View Post
If we could figure out a way to get to that galaxy in time for the dinosaur age I would like to cook me up some dino steak.
It'll probably taste like chicken. But first, we would have to figure out if any of the planets in that galaxy can sustain life. Hence, the dinosaurs.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,793 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
I believe it is a theory now about supermassive black holes. Is it only spiral or all galaxies?
I don't think the Discovery documentary I was watching made a distinction, so I'd suppose all matter of galaxies.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunderman456 View Post
I don't think the Discovery documentary I was watching made a distinction, so I'd suppose all matter of galaxies.
You were watching the universe werent you. Awesome stuff..

·
Banned
2,145 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by b.walker36
View Post

You were watching the universe werent you. Awesome stuff..

You mean "Into the Universe" with Steven Hawking?

Saw that the other day, was neat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts