Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/07/apple-objective-c/
Quote:
Objective-C - the programming language used to build applications for the Apple iPhone and iPad - is now the third most popular language on Earth, according to a new study.

Moving into the third spot in the oft-cited TIOBE index, Objective-C has surpassed C++, another derivative of the venerable C programming language.

C itself is still at the top of the list, followed by Java.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Has anyone had experience with Objective-C and regular C? Is it easier/harder to use? I'm going to be learning it soon when I pick up an iOS developer license and SDK.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eotheod View Post

One of my lecturers linked me this the other day after he kept getting persistent questions from students as to why they had to be able to implement their code in C. Good to see it is still on top!
Weird, my lecturer was complaining that the student could write prefect C code yet not proper pseudo code.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

·
Meow!
8,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3930K View Post

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Sorry yeah if you end up working in a company and all the sudden they need you to learn iOS coding. You got to live with it and get a Mac to work it out. That's what happened to my co-worker. He hates Apple but he has no choice. Company will lean to whatever has the most population and they won't stick to one side if they want to get more money and survive.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Well, there is a pretty nice market for i-device apps. And a lot of hobby programmers write apps for iPhones/iPads (ofc Android too) so it's popularity isn't too shocking. I do find it strange that it surpassed C++ though ... how? All i ever hear is people saying how painful objective C is ...

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronac View Post

Has anyone had experience with Objective-C and regular C? Is it easier/harder to use? I'm going to be learning it soon when I pick up an iOS developer license and SDK.
Objective-C is the bastard lovechild of C and Smalltalk. It's easily the worst programming language I've had to use extensively. And XCode and its stability (or rather complete lack thereof) is like the catfish bait icing on a moldy cake.

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djriful View Post

Sorry yeah if you end up working in a company and all the sudden they need you to learn iOS coding. You got to live with it and get a Mac to work it out. That's what happened to my co-worker. He hates Apple but he has no choice. Company will lean to whatever has the most population and they won't stick to one side if they want to get more money and survive.
Do you really need a mac?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalflush5 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by djriful View Post

Do you really need a mac?
Yes. The iOS SDK, compiler, and IDE only run on OS X. I'm in the same boat. I was pretty meh about Apple until I had to use a Mac everyday for development work. Now I hate them with every fiber of my being.

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mott555 View Post

Yes. The iOS SDK, compiler, and IDE only run on OS X. I'm in the same boat. I was pretty meh about Apple until I had to use a Mac everyday for development work. Now I hate them with every fiber of my being.
Argh that sucks
mad.gif

Hackentosh then! I dont think I can make myself buy a mac, hackentosh or I just wont bother developing for IOS

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalflush5 View Post

Argh that sucks
mad.gif

Hackentosh then! I dont think I can make myself buy a mac, hackentosh or I just wont bother developing for IOS
You can install OS X inside a virtual machine (I'm using VMware Workstation). Just use google to find a guide.

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:

Obj-C is built on top of C, just like C++ is built on top of C as well. Either Obj-C or C++ is easier to use than C for most programmers, you'll likely want to learn C either way.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I helped develop an app last year as part of my senior project in Obj C using iOS SDK 5. Really was glad they got rid of manual reference counting, as that could be a pain. Coding what you wanted in Objective C was generally very easy, although I always had this feeling that the code was about to escape my control and eat me alive.

When a sent message doesn't get a response from an object because you're a noob (I had this issue a lot), don't expect a nice error, or that debugging will be very easy.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Quote:

It's more work, different and harder to use. [Compared to C++]

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.