Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read More http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...#ixzz10Dm9GNDf

Quote:
After nearly 6 months of smashing particles, the Large Hadron Collider has seen signs of something entirely new. Pairs of charged particles produced when two beams of protons collide seem to be associated with each other even after they fly apart.

“It is a small effect, but it is very interesting in itself,†said physicist Guido Tonelli, spokesperson for the LHC’s CMS experiment. Tonelli and colleagues announced the results in a seminar at CERN September 21 and in a paper submitted to the Journal of High Energy Physics.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Somenoob View Post
So is this considered "action at a distance"?
I don't think so.... Scientist expect a more random/uniform distribution of particles resulting for a collision. When there are 110+ particles, the distribution is no longer uniform and there is clustering of particles.

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Somenoob View Post
So is this considered "action at a distance"?
Not the one you're thinking of. That involves observing the state of one particle to know the state of another particle separated by any distance.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts

Yeah?

• Rep+
Reactions: laurie

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Interesting...
So the left graph is at n</=110? I wonder what is so exclusive to that number of proton "particles" to invoke that.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reflux View Post

Yeah?
It's really not hard to figure out the graph....

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Can someone rephrase this for someone who knows nothing about science? It sounds like what would happen if a shockwave was expanding out, and met with a shockwave that was retracting?? though the retracting shockwave is physically impossible

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Sounds a bit like entanglement to me.

Quote:
The CMS team collected the data in mid-July, and spent the rest of the summer trying to blame it on an error or artifact of the data.
If only my summer was that exciting.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Would this be like the Quantum Communicator from ME2? Where 2 atoms will always be the same state regardless of distance?

Edit: Just got beat to it....

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
It's really not hard to figure out the graph....
Would have required reading the source

On a side note, I didn't see in the article, what's the "shelf" in the back? Did anyone catch that?

On another side note, amusing video on the hadron collider, and what some of the physicists think would happen if you stuck your hand in the beam. Not often you hear about the lhc, and then the video and the article pop up, so thought I'd share

• Rep+
Reactions: Jyr and shinyboy

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by E_man View Post
Would have required reading the source

On a side note, I didn't see in the article, what's the "shelf" in the back? Did anyone catch that?
That might be attributed to the number of particles, but they say the important thing is actually the ridge near the bottom right corner of the right graph. The one the arrow is pointing to.

FTA:

Quote:
That ridge essentially means that particles in some pairs are flying away from each other at close to the speed of light along one axis, but are oriented along the same angle in the other axis.

It's as if two particles somehow talked to each other when they were produced, the physicists said.

·
Your Worst Nightmare
1,208 Posts
Sweet! new physics!!!! now the world's most expensive machine is completely worth it!!! now letz use this new physics to destroy ourselves..

seriously...new physics? lol

·
Your Worst Nightmare
1,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enfluenza View Post
i dont get it.
I'm trying to get an idea too..lol

Quote:
That ridge essentially means that particles in some pairs are flying away from each other at close to the speed of light along one axis, but are oriented along the same angle in the other axis.
Wish i could understand that..

1 - 20 of 43 Posts