Overclock.net banner

[WIRED]Microsoft’s ‘Laptop Hunter’ Ads Made on Macs?

3K views 63 replies 53 participants last post by  arkheii 
#1 ·
Quote:

Here’s something that should get Mac fan boys foaming at the mouth. Pictured above is the office of Alex Bogusky, the brains behind Microsoft’s new Laptop Hunter commercials. Sure enough, those are two MacBook Pros sitting on his desk.
And pictured below is the surrounding office space of the ad agency, Crispin Porter + Bogusky. Yup, those are Macs, too. That could suggest the advertisements bashing Mac computers and users were themselves created on Macs. We’re not judging: Since when are ad agencies obligated to use the products they’re helping sell? We just love the irony.

See Also:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/05/laptophunter/

See less See more
#7 ·
Yeah, the ads aren't about "Mac sucks," they're about how Windows PCs are affordable comparatively.

I somehow doubt the Ad agency is looking for laptops on a strict budget....

#8 ·
so what if intel's advertising company use AMD chips on their PC? how come we don't see people going there and opening their pc up and check what mojo they use?

anyways maybe apple gave them free laptops so people would post it in the news. I mean if i work there and i was given a free laptop i'd take it... and put windows on it.

oh how about a picture of a macbook with an windows oem licence stick on on the bottom?

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Han
View Post

so what if intel's advertising company use AMD chips on their PC? how come we don't see people going there and opening their pc up and check what mojo they use?

anyways maybe apple gave them free laptops so people would post it in the news. I mean if i work there and i was given a free laptop i'd take it... and put windows on it.

Yea if I bought an apple I would put windows. Not a big fan of the OSX environment. Use it at school and work I do things so much faster in windows. Plus command prompt is easier to understand for me. especially when you type in help, windows actually lists all the options on separate lines. OSX bashes it in one big bunch. Unless there is a way to separate them out in OSX line by line that I don't know about.

#12 ·
This splooges irony.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgins
View Post

Well the cheapest good video editing software is made for OSX so i'm not suprised.

I don't think it's a big deal though, since the commercials are about how people on a budget can get more for their money when going with a windows laptop.

Fixed. Adobe Premiere Pro is the best video editing software.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Han
View Post

oh how about a picture of a macbook with an windows oem licence stick on on the bottom?

I think an apple sporting a big picture of Tux on the lid would be even more awesome lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gex80
View Post

Yea if I bought an apple I would put windows. Not a big fan of the OSX environment. Use it at school and work I do things so much faster in windows. Plus command prompt is easier to understand for me. especially when you type in help, windows actually lists all the options on separate lines. OSX bashes it in one big bunch. Unless there is a way to separate them out in OSX line by line that I don't know about.

Unless OSX ditched Bash, then it should list separate things on separate lines. Besides, if your looking to use a CLI OS, then go with Linux. Windows is too GUI based in comparison lol.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SSJ3 Mario Brothers
View Post

Yeah, the ads aren't about "Mac sucks," they're about how Windows PCs are affordable comparatively.

I somehow doubt the Ad agency is looking for laptops on a strict budget....

This.

Microsoft definitely has competition with Apple, although they don't COMPLETELY hate Macs.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by loudmusicman
View Post

oh the irony....

Depends on how you look at it. Are the people in the commercials going to a computer store with the wallet of Microsoft, and are they looking specifically for a computer that might be used to create advertising videos?

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gex80
View Post

i'm sorry but this may be the stupidest, most ignorant post i've ever seen.

please to not bash bash. Your CL is based of a striped down version of Dos, a terrible Operating system.

Linux IS better than windows, its just not as widely supported for games, which is apparently all you guys do. OSX runs on a unix kernel that uses basically the same bash as current linux kernels do.

fyi, using help finds tools you can use, which you can then type man 'toolname' as in manual, where a complete guide to using it can be found.

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gex80 View Post
They do realize that MS themselves don't make the ADs right? They pay a separate company to do that. MS doesn't care how the ADs are made as long as they are mad and it is what they like.
This. Anyone else saying MS is dumb is a ******.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NrGx View Post
Fixed. Adobe Premiere Pro is the best video editing software.
Meh, maybe if they gave it a more user friendly UI first. I hate editing on Premiere, I prefer Final Cut.

I also like how everyone is putting this off yet if it was the other way around the reaction would be "OMG OWNED!!!" "LOL TAKE THAT APPLE!"

#23 ·
This is nothing new. They do this with nearly every MS ad.
I'm sure Apple is for more dependent on MS in contrast.

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marin
View Post

Meh, maybe if they gave it a more user friendly UI first. I hate editing on Premiere, I prefer Final Cut.

I agree. It took me 2 hours to learn how to fade in credits with the damn thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.