Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/06/latest-higgs-rumors/
Quote:
In the rigorous world of high-energy physics, researchers wait to see a 5-sigma signal, which has only a 0.000028 percent probability of happening by chance, before claiming a "discovery."

The latest Higgs rumors suggest nearly-there 4-sigma signals are turning up at both of the two separate LHC experiments that are hunting for the particle. As physicist Philip Gibbs points out on his blog, Vixra log, if each experiment is seeing a 4-sigma signal, then this is almost definitely the long-sought particle. Combining the two 4-sigma results should be enough to clear that 5-sigma hurdle.
Getting close!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
MY "GOD"
lachen.gif

·
Registered
96 Posts
Awesome!!! GOOOOO!!! (I have no idea what this is all about).

• Rep+
Reactions: adventfred

·
Registered
167 Posts
So close! keep it up guys, almost there!

·
Super Moderator
14,133 Posts
I have no idea what the Higgs Boson is but after a quick look on Wikipedia it said something about understanding gravity. If this isn't a rumor and it is true does this mean that some time in the future anti-gravity/gravity machines will be invented? I've wanted some gravity machines for many years to make driving and flying simulators even more realistic.

• Rep+
Reactions: adventfred

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusive Spectre View Post

Awesome!!! GOOOOO!!! (I have no idea what this is all about).
Check below
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post

I have no idea what the Higgs Boson is but after a quick look on Wikipedia it said something about understanding gravity. If this isn't a rumor and it is true does this mean that some time in the future anti-gravity/gravity machines will be invented? I've wanted some gravity machines for many years to make driving and flying simulators even more realistic.
Th "higgs" is the particle that gives all other particles "mass" it is and would be the most important scientific discovery ( when it comes to the universe lol )
It is the last particle to be discovered to complete the standard model
biggrin.gif
thumb.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: andrews2547

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

The Higgs Boson explains gravity... proving it exists just validates that our understanding of the universe is correct. Mass is predicted to be due to this particle "clinging" to other particles.

Practical applications are very well removed from this type of fundamental research.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I want to stop hearing they "might" have or "hope" to have found it. I hear that every month for the past several years now. Though this sounds promising and exciting, so did many in the past. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I won't get my hopes up till they said they "HAVE" found it...

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuell View Post

I want to stop hearing they "might" have or "hope" to have found it. I hear that every month for the past several years now. Though this sounds promising and exciting, so did many in the past. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I won't get my hopes up till they said they "HAVE" found it...
It's called progress, none of those times those experiments reached a 4-sigma level, now they reached that with two independant experiements. It's homing in on formal validation of the theory, just as the little theory that R = U * I has been validated decades ago, the little theory that makes your computers work the way they do
wink.gif

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBox View Post

It's called progress, none of those times those experiments reached a 4-sigma level, now they reached that with two independant experiements. It's homing in on formal validation of the theory, just as the little theory that R = U * I has been validated decades ago, the little theory that makes your computers work the way they do
wink.gif
Do you mean R = V / I ?

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

The Higgs Boson explains gravity... proving it exists just validates that our understanding of the universe is correct. Mass is predicted to be due to this particle "clinging" to other particles.
Practical applications are very well removed from this type of fundamental research.
If this is true why are we so obsessed with finding it?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuell View Post

Being scientists, they will probably say "We have with a high degree of certainty found it!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheatton View Post

If this is true why are we so obsessed with finding it?
If we do not find it... then our Standard Model is flawed.

If we do find it, then our current Standard Model continues to make sense.

A lot of assumptions and "zany stuff" are derived from the Standard Model.

·
Banned
3,190 Posts
highly doubtfull they detected this!created?highly likly!wouldnt be the first time we create something!i dont believe aluminium exist in nature!but then take any material created by men that doesnt exist in nature lol!i always believed in a more complex ying/yang kind of thing!just add a gray line at all edge tho!and you got the idea!we are living in the gray line!we have been able to interact with the positive side!i highly doubt we have been able to interract with the negative side ,why?because we would need to not exist in order to do so ,if such a thing is possible!and if you dont exist how do you interract!but if we go back to the ying/yang logo!there would be infinitly small part of the negative side we could interract with on our side,sadly we are talking scaleIN ORDER OF UNIVERSE !it is like trying to find ONE intel 3d transistor in the whole universe!dam we ll need better search tool!

GOOGLE HELP US!

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbaltazar View Post

highly doubtfull they detected this!created?highly likly!wouldnt be the first time we create something!i dont believe aluminium exist in nature!but then take any material created by men that doesnt exist in nature lol!i always believed in a more complex ying/yang kind of thing!just add a gray line at all edge tho!and you got the idea!we are living in the gray line!we have been able to interact with the positive side!i highly doubt we have been able to interract with the negative side ,why?because we would need to not exist in order to do so ,if such a thing is possible!and if you dont exist how do you interract!but if we go back to the ying/yang logo!there would be infinitly small part of the negative side we could interract with on our side,sadly we are talking scaleIN ORDER OF UNIVERSE !it is like trying to find ONE intel 3d transistor in the whole universe!dam we ll need better search tool!
GOOGLE HELP US!
headscratch.gif

anyone wanna translate this translation?

·
Super Moderator
14,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbaltazar View Post

GOOGLE HELP US!
Sorry, all I could understand from that is that aluminum doesn't exist in nature (or at least that's what you think) and it does exist in nature, in fact it's one of the most abundant elements.
Quote:
In the Earth's crust, aluminium is the most abundant (8.3% by weight) metallic element and the third most abundant of all elements (after oxygen and silicon).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium#Natural_occurrence

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Being scientists, they will probably say "We have with a high degree of certainty found it!"
If we do not find it... then our Standard Model is flawed.
If we do find it, then our current Standard Model continues to make sense.
A lot of assumptions and "zany stuff" are derived from the Standard Model.
Ah.

·
Banned
3,190 Posts
Quote:

Sorry, all I could understand from that is that aluminum doesn't exist in nature (or at least that's what you think) and it does exist in nature, in fact it's one of the most abundant elements.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium#Natural_occurrence
it was an exemple!i did say use a material that is man made that doesnt exist in nature!the idea being ,it wouldnt be the first time men create something that doesnt exist in nature .in this situation :this could be a man made particle!who knows!we ll probably know in 5 year!

1 - 20 of 101 Posts