Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a gateway 400sd4 laptop in pristine shape however it has no wireless card. I am going to purchase a card but from what i'm reading it should have two antenna wires in the slot to attach to the card but noon are visable. Do i need these wires or is the antenna somehow built in to the slot?

Any info would be great.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FREELINE57 View Post
I was given a gateway 400sd4 laptop in pristine shape however it has no wireless card. I am going to purchase a card but from what i'm reading it should have two antenna wires in the slot to attach to the card but noon are visable. Do i need these wires or is the antenna somehow built in to the slot?

Any info would be great.
There are two cables on most laptops that connect to the card, and then go in between the lcd screen and case.

http://www.laptopparts101.com/wireless-card/

Yes you need them and you maybe able to either find them for your laptop on ebay or one from another laptop with long enough cables , the antennas and connectors are mostly universal.

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by diligenthunter
View Post

There are two cables on most laptops that connect to the card, and then go in between the lcd screen and case.

http://www.laptopparts101.com/wireless-card/

Yes you need them and you maybe able to either find them for your laptop on ebay or one from another laptop with long enough cables , the antennas and connectors are mostly universal.

Thanks..great
Do you know or have a link on how to fish the wires up to the lcd screen?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
You will need to disassemble the LCD bezel to look for the antenna wires, and ensure they're there. If they are there then it's time for absolute disassembly to fish out those antenna cables.

Without those antenna cables, the wifi card would be quite useless.

If you do not know how to do this, or don't feel confident don't do it.

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by AsAnAtheist
View Post

You will need to disassemble the LCD bezel to look for the antenna wires, and ensure they're there. If they are there then it's time for absolute disassembly to fish out those antenna cables.

Without those antenna cables, the wifi card would be quite useless.

If you do not know how to do this, or don't feel confident don't do it.

Afree lappy, you bet if it comes to breaking it down i'll tear it apart. I just can't seem to find a link with vid or pics showing how to route the antenna wires up to the lcd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts