Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend gets her wireless connection dropped every time somebody from her family signs onto one of the other computers in the house. Any suggestions on what would be the culprit? I set her up on a static ip but that didn't seem to help at all.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Very weird...

I would maybe try making sure the router's or access points firmware is fully up to date? Update wireless drivers, too etc

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
her router is really old, can't even find it on the support page, and I made sure the drivers are up to date.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
whats the router model?

·
Registered
28 Posts
When you set up the static IP, did you make sure all the other computers were set up as well? This happened to me once when I made the static too low in the IP range and one of the other computers were still selecting it automatically.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Have you verified it is when any computer connects to the wireless network? The reason I ask is I have seen this a few times before, but it was with one specific laptop each time. The radio had gone bad in them, and it takes the channel utilization to 100% which knocks every other wireless device off line.

Edit: Please explain more on what you mean when you say her machine gets kicked off the network. Is the laptop still associated to the access point? Can it ping the gateway IP address? The reason I ask is you stated you put in a static IP address. This would lead me to believe the laptop i still associated to the access point. If this is true, this is more than likely not a wireless problem.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Chalk another one up for the great ol 2Wire.

If the unit belongs to AT&T, have them replace it.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
great... its another 2wire. see if AT&T will give you anything other than a 2wire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts