Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a laptop that I want to be able to connect to my network with, for accessing the internet and files on other computers.

Right now I have a WGR614 v4 router and so just need a PC card or USB network adapter.

However im not sure what sort of range to be looking at. I know my router is getting pretty old now and I imagine the aerial is fairly weak. The whole purpose of the laptop is to be able to use it downstairs which would put a wall and a ceiling in the way.

So can I get away with just getting an adapter for the laptop (And how much would I need to look at spending?/What requirements would I need?)

Or would I need to look into buying a new router as well. (I'm in the UK btw for any links or prices)

I appreciate any help, thanks.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stanrc
View Post

Wireless G should give you enough range to cover your whole house depending on the materials your walls are made of. So your laptop doesn't have a wireless card built into it?

I thought the same thing? How old?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No idea how old it is, but its a second hand one a friend was going to throw away. Very poor spec but all it will be used for is working on documents and accessing the internet when I'm not on my main work computer.

What sort of price would I be looking at? They range from £15-40 from what ive seen. Since my routers aerial is poor would that stop any benefit of having a better one for the laptop?

Also are there any advantages to going USB or PC?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Too bad you're not in the US.. I'd sell you a D-Link DWA-652 PCMCIA card for $40 shipped

PC Card normally has a bigger internal antenna than a USB card does, meaning you might be able to pickup the signal better.
One way of getting better range by 'ghetto-modding' your router, if it has external antennae (black rods out the back or top), is to put tinfoil cups in the direction you are mostly going to be. This will focus the signal in a certain area, and lengthen the range of the signal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts