Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using my recently bought hardware consisting of the D-Link DGL-4500 router and the D-Link DWA-160 usb adapter I did the following tests using LAN Speed Test version 1.1.0 build 97 (latest version at time of writing - 3/21/2010).
  • The filesize (in megabytes) that I used for the test was 100MB.
  • The directory of transfer was to another PC I have connected to the router using a wired gigabit connection.
  • The destination computer was idle with a WD Black 1TB 7200 PRM drive and a core 2 duo at 3.6ghz with 2gb of ram running Windows XP.
  • The source computer was idle with a SCSI 10k RPM drive and a xeon dual core at 3.2ghz with 1gb ram running Windows 7.
  • My G settings I was using were as follows: 2.4GHz, G only, Channel 11, Best (automatic) transfer speed, and WPA2 AES security.
  • My N settings I was using were as follows: 2.4GHz, N only, Channel 11, 40MHz, Best (automatic) transfer speed, and WPA2 AES security.
The results were very dissapointing... my first run was using G, the second using N.

Wireless G

Wireless N

So according to my tests N is only (at most) twice as fast as G. IMAO it is very dissapoint considering the amount of money I spend on the router and adapter. I might be returning both in the very near future or trying another adapter (D-Link DWA-556) since maybe it's just the USB adapter that plain sucks. But if that fails then I'm giving up wireless altogether and am just going to stretch a 100ft. Cat6 cable to my desktop downstairs... SIGH

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
2.4ghz 40mhz N channels can be a burden.. How many networks are in range of your devices? How many networks can you pick up?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I think that the theoretical limit of USB 2.0 is around 50 to 60 Mbps (someone please correct me). If this is true, it would seem your idea of was correct...
I think you are nearly saturating the port...

Edit, supposedly it is 480 MBPS = 60 Mbps.

·
Banned
5,000 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdolphin
View Post

I think that the theoretical limit of USB 2.0 is around 50 MBPS (someone please correct me). If this is true, it would seem your idea of was correct...

DING DING DING WINNER!!!! 37MB/s-42MB/s is the max I get.

OP: try with a pci wifi N card, or get a usb 3.0 card & adapter.

·
Something witty
2,400 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdolphin
View Post

I think that the theoretical limit of USB 2.0 is around 50 to 60 Mbps (someone please correct me). If this is true, it would seem your idea of was correct...

Edit, supposedly it is 480 MBPS = 60 Mbps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chatch15117
View Post

480Mbps =/= 60Mbps USB2.0 should be able to do just under 60MB/s

For reference: 100Mbps(most LAN) is about 12.5MB/s & gigabit or 1000Mbps is about 125MB/s.
Wireless N can be up to 600Mbps or 75MB/s. I'm going to stress the up to because this is usually only the case for systems in very close proximity to the router or with LoS.

@OP Try checking which channels other people in your area are using and pick the least used of: 1,6 or 11.
There are many variables in wireless setups that can impact performance, if there is concrete between floors or a very long distance it might be an issue. You can also try readjusting the antennas if you aren't getting a strong enough signal. Otherwise the problem is probably a software setting that you can tweak. To be honest though the simplest way to get higher speeds is to just grab some cat5e or cat6 and hook it up directly.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Quote:

View Post

the test is in mbps.... 1 MBps = 8 mbps.

A USB port can support FAR more than 45 mbps (less than 5 MB/s)

I should learn to read more carefully. Above is correct, you're maxing out your USB port.

45*8 = 360mbps, pretty close to maxing real world usb.

·
A Furious Ghost
89 Posts
I have the DGl-4500 and the DWA-556, along with the DAP-1360 range extender. The computer is 300 or so feet from the extender, and the extender is another 300 feet from the router, I have Hi-gain antennas on all devices, and I was still having bad connectivity problems, I would lose connection every 45 seconds and my rate was only 13.5 mbps. I did some reading on the D-Link forums, and found out firmware 1.2 and up are really terrible, so I downgraded the firmware to 1.15 and now im getting 100% signal, no disconnections and 300 mbps. I have another computer with the DWA-160 USB adapter and its about 100 feet from the DGL-4500 and it connected 1 out of every 10 attempts for 30 seconds then drops it, and when its connected it had 13.5 mbps. When i downgraded to 1.15 it has a strong signal now, and isnt disconnecting, but only has 54 mbps, I really dont want to buy another DAP-1360 for that computer to have 300 mbps, simply because its only a web browsing PC, but if I were to use it for gaming, I would buy another extender for that side of the property.

My DGL-4500 is set about the same as yours, Channel 11, Best rate, WPA2 AES, 2.4GHz, and i am on firmware 1.15.

If i can be any other help let me know!

·
Banned
5,000 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparhawk
View Post

480Mbps =/= 60Mbps USB2.0 should be able to do just under 60MB/s

For reference: 100Mbps(most LAN) is about 12.5MB/s & gigabit or 1000Mbps is about 125MB/s.
Wireless N can be up to 600Mbps or 75MB/s. I'm going to stress the up to because this is usually only the case for systems in very close proximity to the router or with LoS.

All these numbers are theoretical. I had the capitalization correct, too. I know the difference between b and B

The real world performance of USB2.0 is closer to 40MB/s.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Also, that router doesn't support simultaneous 2.4 Ghz and 5.0Ghz. Do you have any other wifi items on the network such as 2.4Ghz N or any Wireless G items also using the router? If so, it will decrease the speed. However, since you do have a USB N card, then as others have stated, you have reached the max bandwidth for the USB 2.0 spec.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
The technical requirements for achieving 600mbits/sec are a wee bit more complex than being "close" and line-of-sight.

From the official 802.11n industry brief:

While the legacy networks operate in a 20 MHz channel, 802.11n defines the use of 20 and 40 MHz channels with up to 4 spatial streams per channel. The Wi-Fi 802.11n draft 2.0 certification program presently confines the use of 40MHz channels to the 5 GHz band. With 4 spatial streams in a 40MHz channel the maximum transmission data rate is 600 Mbps.

Current products can transmit at up to 300Mbps using 2 spatial streams in a 40 MHz channel. The use of multiple streams and a 40 MHz channels is optional.

=========

I personally think it's still a little early to adopt 802.11n since the specification was only finalized late last year. Hopefully in another couple months there will be more products that utilize that optional multiple-stream-and-40MHz-channel-option.

·
Something witty
2,400 Posts
Quote:

View Post

All these numbers are theoretical. I had the capitalization correct, too. I know the difference between b and B

The real world performance of USB2.0 is closer to 40MB/s.

You had your numbers right, but your interpretation of his was not. He's only getting 40mbps, not MB/s. There is a major issue here. He's only making about 5MB/s with wireless N,
that's a slow speed in wireless G terms. He should be able to hit at least 10MB/s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bane99
View Post

Also, that router doesn't support simultaneous 2.4 Ghz and 5.0Ghz. Do you have any other wifi items on the network such as 2.4Ghz N or any Wireless G items also using the router? If so, it will decrease the speed. However, since you do have a USB N card, then as others have stated, you have reached the max bandwidth for the USB 2.0 spec.

He's not even close to maxing out his USB port when transferring at 5MB/s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComGuards
View Post

The technical requirements for achieving 600mbits/sec are a wee bit more complex than being "close" and line-of-sight.

Yeah, I was summarizing
because most people don't seem to care for the specifics anyway.

Bottom line: You have some settings that need to be checked on the router and possibly on your computer. Maybe try the firmware downgrade suggested a few posts ago.

·
Banned
3,583 Posts
use a wireless sniffing protocol, to search the area you live in for interfering networks. Does that Router also support 5 GHz Bands? Usually most cordless and routers run off that frequency, so you should get alot less interference on the 5 GHz band.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK I will try all above suggestions, first being downgrading my firmware to 1.15. How exactly is that done and will I brick my router?

·
15,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparhawk
View Post

480Mbps =/= 60MBps USB2.0 should be able to do just under 60MB/s

Make that a double typo

Meh...

My 400GB drive is so slow its bottlenecking the router :/
Wire ->->- Wire.

• Rep+
Reactions: PhaedraCorruption

·
15,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenRK
View Post

How many public home ISPs go that fast anyway?

You don't have a server right?
Having a server with the router close to it and the laptops and desktops connecting wireless without the hassle with cables is so much better than having cables all over the house.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenRK
View Post

How many public home ISPs go that fast anyway?

What does that have to do with it. Are you forgetting that people use wifi to transfer files from one PC to another, not just to share an internet connection.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puscifer View Post
What does that have to do with it. Are you forgetting that people use wifi to transfer files from one PC to another, not just to share an internet connection.
Yes thank you

That was my main concern anyhow; to transfer files wirelessly using either my laptop or desktop (which is near no cables
).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts