Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, the network is setup as:

Modem -> Router #1 -> PC with printer attached via USB (printer is shared)
...................|
...............Router #2 -> Laptops connecting via 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless

Connecting directly into Router #1 I can easily add the printer to the laptops. However, once the Cat5 connection is lost, the laptops cannot see the printer or the shared computer. Anyone have any experience with this? It's becoming quite the pain in the neck!

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Better question... why would a CAT5 connection drop?

Also, how did you map the printer?

//[192.168.1.xxx]/[Printer Name] or //[Computer Name]/[Printer Name]

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kneeki View Post
Well, the by drop, I mean unplug.

I mapped it as \\\\computer-name\\printer, should I try mapping it by IP?

Computer name should be consistent while IP is not.
If you map by computer name, it should always work. After reconnecting the CAT5, can you ping your desktop?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, once I connect the Cat5 again, I can ping and use the printer without any issues. However, once I unplug the cable, and I'm going through this router, I can only see the other devices connected directly to this router. Internet works just fine.

[edit] for clarity, I'm plugging the Cat5 into Router #1, when unplugged, I'm connected to Router #2's wireless. The sharing computer w/the printer are directly connected to Router #1.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Are they both on the same subnet? Same network/vlan?

If you have a wireless router with 192.168.0.254 and another with 192.168.0.254, they are technically different. Each routers route is independent of each other. So if you are on the wireless on router 2, the PC sends out the discovery for 192.168.x.x, but router 2 is looking at it's subnet. It's not looking at router 1 subnet.

Most of the time it's easier to have a router and an access point. That way the access point will utilize the subnet from router 1, instead of having it's own separate subnet.

Enterprise routers trunk Vlans between each other, and allow for custom route paths to know where to send the packets. Or they know the next hop. That makes things easier. - This is useless info for this problem-

Can you ping PC 1 from with wireless connection on router 2? Are the routers connected by cat5? Why not use one router that has 4 Ethernet ports?

I might be getting confused on the situation. I usually work on enterprise equipment.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, once I connect the Cat5 again, I can ping and use the printer without any issues. However, once I unplug the cable, and I'm going through this router, I can only see the other devices connected directly to this router. Internet works just fine.

[edit] for clarity, I'm plugging the Cat5 into Router #1, when unplugged, I'm connected to Router #2's wireless. The sharing computer w/the printer are directly connected to Router #1.
Good questions Biscuits_N_Gravy!

Do you have two routers? Or a router + switch/WAP?

If you have two routers, that is your problem.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aye, I know that the problem is because the two routers are doing their own things. However, I've not tried setting Router #2 up as an Access Point. Unfortunately, there is not a switch. Right now, I have a very lack luster network (we've just moved in to the building) and until the parts arrive for the servers/switch, this is all I've got. Thanks for the tips so far, I'm about to go try that AP idea

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Good questions Biscuits_N_Gravy!

Do you have two routers? Or a router + switch/WAP?

If you have two routers, that is your problem.
Thanks Duckie!

Yeah, most of the time 2 consumer level routers don't like to route between each other properly. Mostly cause they don't share the same subnet.

That's why I love enterprise routers, but only when work lets me borrow one. I have all Cisco gear at the house now.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Quote:

Aye, I know that the problem is because the two routers are doing their own things. However, I've not tried setting Router #2 up as an Access Point. Unfortunately, there is not a switch. Right now, I have a very lack luster network (we've just moved in to the building) and until the parts arrive for the servers/switch, this is all I've got. Thanks for the tips so far, I'm about to go try that AP idea

An AP should help the issue. Then it will serve up router #1's private subnet, so all computers will be on the same Vlan. That way the broadcasts will make it to all computers.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

What do you mean "there is not a switch"?

Just disable DCHP on "Router #2" to solve your problem.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I have DHCP disabled, which has worked just fine for other routers in the past. However, this one is a bit more advanced than what I'm used to using. Here is a copy paste of it's current settings:

Internet Port
MAC Address 00:26:F2:F4:34:E0
IP Address 10.1.10.100
DHCP Static IP
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Domain Name Server 10.1.10.1

LAN Port
MAC Address 00:26:F2:F4:34
F
IP Address 192.168.1.1
DHCP Off
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Disabled DHCP on the Lan, and plugged the the cable into the Lan1 port, instead of WAN port. All internet connectivity drops on Router #2. Also, I tried setting the Lan address to: 10.1.10.101, but I get the error:

The IP address conflicts with the WAN Subnet, please enter a different IP address.
LL

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Your Router #1 isn't connected to the modem?

Quote:
IP Address 10.1.10.100

Take it step by step...
Disconnect router #2 completely.
Plug only router #1 into modem.
Reset modem.
Have router #1 refresh IP.
Make sure DHCP is disabled on router #2.
Connect a Router #1 LAN port to a router #2 LAN port.
Wirelessly connect to router #2.
Check if router #1 sees the laptop now.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Router #1 should be pulling an address from the Modem, ie 72.130.100.232. Something to that extent. That will be the IP on router #1 Wan port.

Router #1 will serve up a network of 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0. It's management address will be 192.168.1.1.

Router #2 should be connected to router #1 via Lan port #1. Some routers will allow you to use the Wan port on the AP side. Router #2 should have DHCP disabled, basically it is a gateway/AP. Router #2 should have a management IP of 192.168.1.2, so that it doesn't conflict with router #1's management IP.

Router #2 shouldn't be serving up it's own DHCP, and it should send it's DNS requests to 192.168.1.1 (Router #1 - The real router)

Sometimes, routers will just refuse to talk to each other. I have had a few that even in AP mode, they just wouldn't pass the information correctly.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Quote:

PHEW! Looks like you were right Ducky! Just a reboot of Router #2 fixed the issue.

Awesomeness.

I believe Duckie I'm going to throw Duckie a Rep!

Now to run! It's the wifes birthday!

Edit/ Can't give Duckie a Rep. Is it a Mod thing?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
There is a rep button for mods... but only the 1337 know where to find it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts