Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I Can Change This???
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I just got done installing this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ASGOFNY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I didn't think much about the AC adapter until I was faced with "what do I do with the ac adapter". Obviously what I have right now works... but it's a bloody power cable running through my nearly cordless build
rolleyes.gif
Is there a way I can tie in supernight with my PSU?

And I cut my run a bit short. Now I a big strand of lights left over. How do I use them?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
That's a pretty simple electrical project.

I would strongly suggest though that if you don't already have the skills to do it, learning those skills in a 120V 15 amp circuit is a recipe for disaster.

What power do you want to get out of the modified PSU? 120V or just the low power for the lights?

• Rep+
Reactions: larymoencurly

·
I Can Change This???
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

That's a pretty simple electrical project.

I would strongly suggest though that if you don't already have the skills to do it, learning those skills in a 120V 15 amp circuit is a recipe for disaster.

What power do you want to get out of the modified PSU? 120V or just the low power for the lights?
Just enough for the lights lol. Perhaps another way would be battery operated?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Don't the lights take 12V though? I mean I'm sure the adapter output, puts out 12 volts from the looks of it. Why not just cut out the middle man (instead of adding a 2nd middle man)?

·
I Can Change This???
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterFire View Post

Don't the lights take 12V though? I mean I'm sure the adapter output, puts out 12 volts from the looks of it. Why not just cut out the middle man (instead of adding a 2nd middle man)?
Adapter does do 12v. What do you mean?

·
Registered
174 Posts
You will need a molex to barrel adapter. I made mine out of stuff I had lying around but you can buy them on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131396560769?lpid=82&chn=ps
With this, you can plug your hitlights directly into your psu and eliminate the brick that came with them.

·
I Can Change This???
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom B View Post

You will need a molex to barrel adapter. I made mine out of stuff I had lying around but you can buy them on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131396560769?lpid=82&chn=ps
With this, you can plug your hitlights directly into your psu and eliminate the brick that came with them.

Is there a certain wattage that molex connectors are given? The light strip at most uses ~8 watts.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontney View Post

Is there a certain wattage that molex connectors are given? The light strip at most uses ~8 watts.
No idea. I have exactly the same light kit you have and I'm using a connector just like the one I posted to power my lights. It has worked effectively non-stop for about a year with no issues.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:

It's listed on the name plate on your PSU. Here's a typical one

That's the total watts @ 12v a PSU will supply. At only an additional 8 watts, your lights be just fine.
If you want to go through the calculations you can add up the wattage of all the 12 volt devices you have and subtract that from the PSU's rating to see how much power is left.

·
I Can Change This???
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

It's listed on the name plate on your PSU. Here's a typical one

That's the total watts @ 12v a PSU will supply. At only an additional 8 watts, your lights be just fine.
If you want to go through the calculations you can add up the wattage of all the 12 volt devices you have and subtract that from the PSU's rating to see how much power is left.
Oh I was wondering if a molex lead was only given so much power. No matter, the barrel to molex seems like it will work. I'll just have to measure my barrel before ordering.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
It all comes down to the LENGTH and THICKNESS of the wires being used. If a wire gets warm to the touch, thats a BAD sign and fix that ASAP by using thicker wire / shorter.

Since 18Awg wires are often used for peripheral (4 pin molex)

+5 volts 1 5 amps 25 watts
+12 volts 1 5 amps 60 watts

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Each Molex pin is rated for around 6-8 amps, or more than the 5A rating of the AC adapter included with the Supernight kit. Also that AC adapter, unlike your computer's power supply, has no ground connection going to the wall outlet or any safety certification from UL, CSA, TUV, ETL, etc. Try not to buy junk like that.

·
I Can Change This???
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by larymoencurly View Post

Each Molex pin is rated for around 6-8 amps, or more than the 5A rating of the AC adapter included with the Supernight kit. Also that AC adapter, unlike your computer's power supply, has no ground connection going to the wall outlet or any safety certification from UL, CSA, TUV, ETL, etc. Try not to buy junk like that.
You're not leaving me with a solution though. What would you suggest, so that I don't have a power cable running through my PC?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Quote:

You're not leaving me with a solution though. What would you suggest, so that I don't have a power cable running through my PC?
We did. get a molex Extention (Male to Female) or fan adapter (Male to Female w/ 2 pin fan connector), cut in half.. and solder the power strip.. if thats not something in your comfort zone..
http://www.overclock.net/t/1534780/wiring-an-ac-adapter-into-my-psu/0_20#post_23389441 buy one of those, 12v .... or get a 5v one and move the molex pin to yellow/black pins.

Get a buddy with a multimeter to check if in doubt!!!

·
I Can Change This???
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinf View Post

We did. get a molex Extention (Male to Female) or fan adapter (Male to Female w/ 2 pin fan connector), cut in half.. and solder the power strip.. if thats not something in your comfort zone..
http://www.overclock.net/t/1534780/wiring-an-ac-adapter-into-my-psu/0_20#post_23389441 buy one of those, 12v .... or get a 5v one and move the molex pin to yellow/black pins.

Get a buddy with a multimeter to check if in doubt!!!
I was actually referring to this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larymoencurly View Post

I'm not saying you haven't suggested any solutions. I'm saying the solution presented was just countered by the above quote. So I figured I'd ditch that solution and look for another (because it seemed implied there was a better way). So, is the molex to barrel adapter safe or not?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:

I was actually referring to this.
I'm not saying you haven't suggested any solutions. I'm saying the solution presented was just countered by the above quote. So I figured I'd ditch that solution and look for another (because it seemed implied there was a better way). So, is the molex to barrel adapter safe or not?
Yes. It is safe. As I said in my original post, I have the same thing running non-stop in my pc without any issue.

Also, the post you mention doesn't counter that. He says the molex plug is rated at 6-8 amps and the lights are rated at 5. The thing is the lights are only going to pull that if you have all three colors fully illuminated along the entire 16.4 foot strip. You don't have 16 feet of lights in your pc. It looks like you have around 6 feet so that most I can see you pulling from the psu is 2-3 watts.

• Rep+
Reactions: tmontney

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Three Delta 1212EHE fans off a single molex. That's 12.5 amps.
No problem.

·
I Can Change This???
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom B View Post

Yes. It is safe. As I said in my original post, I have the same thing running non-stop in my pc without any issue.

Also, the post you mention doesn't counter that. He says the molex plug is rated at 6-8 amps and the lights are rated at 5. The thing is the lights are only going to pull that if you have all three colors fully illuminated along the entire 16.4 foot strip. You don't have 16 feet of lights in your pc. It looks like you have around 6 feet so that most I can see you pulling from the psu is 2-3 watts.
I misread it then, as it couldn't provide the amps. However, I'm still confused by this part:

Also that AC adapter, unlike your computer's power supply, has no ground connection going to the wall outlet or any safety certification from UL, CSA, TUV, ETL, etc. Try not to buy junk like that.

I was assuming he was calling the adapter (molex to barrel) junk. Whatever. If both of you have had it running w/o issue, that's good enough for me. Even if something did happen to the lights, it's not much of a risk at all.

How can I solder a molex to female barrel? I've spliced wires before, but nothing with a barrel connector.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts