Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I owned a few Nvidia cards and they overclock rather well. I don't think it will be any different this time. Especially now that they are talking about giving customers the options to adjust voltages.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
In alot of the fermi threads there is speculation.

Some say it will OC like a champ. I think their reasoning was It has similiar temps as GTX280 and it oc'd well enough (I don't remember where they got the GTX480 temps though, if that was their reasoning, I forget)

Others say with the kind of cooler it needs, it will be super hot, and won't OC at all.

I think I'll wait for user reviews myself

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
I don't think there's a reasonable way to predict that... with release in 6 days, the best we can do is just wait for the review sites to tell us.

·
!
17,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by saulin
View Post

I owned a few Nvidia cards and they overclock rather well. I don't think it will be any different this time. Especially now that they are talking about giving customers the options to adjust voltages.

Will heat not be a factor as well?

The GTX470 and GTX480 appear to have high TDP's. (225 and 295W respectively, if I'm not mistaken.)
That means the GTX480 can produce more heat than even the GTX295 (289W TDP), before messing with clocks and voltages.

·
PC Evangelist
46,946 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sLowEnd View Post

The GTX470 and GTX480 appear to have high TDP's. (225 and 295W respectively, if I'm not mistaken.)
That means the GTX480 can produce more heat than even the GTX295 (289W TDP), before messing with clocks and voltages.
I think its 250W for GTX480 but yeah if stock cooler is that monstrous it means no good temps but the ASUS box tell 50% up with voltages which would make the card a win.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sLowEnd View Post

That card seems to have a mean cooler though. It has heat pipes sticking out and the only temperature hint we have seen so far showed the card running at 34C. Of course I don't know if it was legit.

The GTX 260 and 280 got hot and people managed to overclock it a lot. The 8800 GTX got extremely hot and I managed to overclock it really good. We don't really know how hot it gets but yes heat does actually have a lot to say on how far you can overclock.

·
PC Evangelist
46,946 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by saulin View Post
That card seems to have a mean cooler though. It has heat pipes sticking out and the only temperature hint we have seen so far showed the card running at 34C. Of course I don't know if it was legit.

The GTX 260 and 280 got hot and people managed to overclock it a lot. The 8800 GTX got extremely hot and I managed to overclock it really good. We don't really know how hot it gets but yes heat does actually have a lot to say on how far you can overclock.
Overclocking doesn't ad much heat 5C tops but voltage bump will. The only thing we can hope is if GTX480 and 470 were really down clocked to lower TDP which would mean they got a lot of head room.

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
HD5770 is a fairly good overclocker and Asus has the Voltage Tweak Edition for it.
Now, Asus also has their Voltage Tweak Edition for both the 470 and the 480, so it seems this is a good indication that both can be overclocked fairly good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts