Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Turtle Lives Matter
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
MONTGOMERY, Alabama --

Two Republican legislators are proposing the state sell up to $100 million in bonds to buy electronic tablets or similar devices for Alabama students in grades nine through 12.

Sen. Gerald Dial of Lineville and Rep. Jim McClendon of Springville said that would allow the students to get digital textbooks, which are cheaper than printed textbooks. Dial said the savings on textbooks should be sufficient to pay off the bonds.

The two legislators said the pen-enabled tablets will hold all the textbooks a student needs. The tablets could also be used by the students to do their homework and to take tests, which will reduce the amount that schools spend on paper.
Source

Not having to carry around a bunch of heavy textbooks sounds great. Obviously there would be much savings on consumables like paper, pencils, pens, and books. I think it would be a huge initial cost to train teachers and set up software/hardware. Text book companies will probably end up charging as much for digital books as they already gouge with regular books, but at least your kid won't destroy or lose a textbook. If these tablets can be obtained for ~$100 (wishful thinking for government contracts) I think this will work out pretty well. So much to think about how this could work, but I really hope that it does. lol at my home state of Alabama (darn near worst school system in the nation) for pushing this.

You guys think this is viable?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I'm a computer tech for an independent school in North Alabama. Most students use laptops from 8th grade to 12th here. I'd love to see the idea of tablets being used. Currently looking and testing the Lenovo's new Tablet right now for the upcoming year.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damric View Post

Quote:
MONTGOMERY, Alabama --
Two Republican legislators are proposing the state sell up to $100 million in bonds to buy electronic tablets or similar devices for Alabama students in grades nine through 12.
Sen. Gerald Dial of Lineville and Rep. Jim McClendon of Springville said that would allow the students to get digital textbooks, which are cheaper than printed textbooks. Dial said the savings on textbooks should be sufficient to pay off the bonds.
The two legislators said the pen-enabled tablets will hold all the textbooks a student needs. The tablets could also be used by the students to do their homework and to take tests, which will reduce the amount that schools spend on paper.
Source
Not having to carry around a bunch of heavy textbooks sounds great. Obviously there would be much savings on consumables like paper, pencils, pens, and books. I think it would be a huge initial cost to train teachers and set up software/hardware. Text book companies will probably end up charging as much for digital books as they already gouge with regular books, but at least your kid won't destroy or lose a textbook. If these tablets can be obtained for ~$100 (wishful thinking for government contracts) I think this will work out pretty well. So much to think about how this could work, but I really hope that it does. lol at my home state of Alabama (darn near worst school system in the nation) for pushing this.
You guys think this is viable?
I think it's very viable and it's the direction our education system needs to go. I'm a little suprised that Alabama is the pioneer state in this.

If I could've carried my text books around with my during highschool in this tiny package.... they might of gone futher than my locker >.<.

hehe.

·
Registered
641 Posts
If you compare the price of the four or five text books used by a student a year that are replaced very often (or at least are required to be) This could be very affordable. The problem I see is giving this to kids and having other kids steal them or accidently forgetting it is in their back pack and cracking the screen.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbNub View Post

If you compare the price of the four or five text books used by a student a year that are replaced very often (or at least are required to be) This could be very affordable. The problem I see is giving this to kids and having other kids steal them or accidently forgetting it is in their back pack and cracking the screen.
That's my worry. I'm constantly replacing screen on netbooks and laptops at the school I work at.

·
Premium Member
6,419 Posts
Being an educator in Alabama, I'm glad they've finally come up with a good idea. I use a Nook Color for a lot of my books now, and it saves money and reduces paper consumption. If this idea was implemented for textbooks, we could see some very real savings for the economy. It would also help push our schools into a curriculum that is more centered around technology as well.

Basically, we need this. This is one of the best ideas to ever come out of Montgomery, and I applaud them for once.

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
Good move, lets just hope they are smart and go with e-ink screen, cheap e-readers, or something durable. Not like the many many school districts that say "Macbook/Ipad/laptop?! wow they are pretty, lets hand them out like candy", and they are promptly stolen/broken.

This would be especially great with Safari. You pay a fee, and not only get text books, but when a new revision of a book comes out, you automatically get it for free.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Lol I'm in 8th grade and my school has about 80 iPad 2's and we still have printed text books.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I think it's viable, but it needs to be implemented properly. A poorly designed system or bad hardware will make it really hard to use seamlessly.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I think its a terrible idea. I do not have children, and do not plan to have children. Yet I still pay local school taxes which are about 80% of my personal property taxes each year. The school district here is going to start issuing iPads to certain school's/classes. Guess who will be footing the bill...?

Taxpayers.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek1387 View Post

I think its a terrible idea. I do not have children, and do not plan to have children. Yet I still pay local school taxes which are about 80% of my personal property taxes each year. The school district here is going to start issuing iPads to certain school's/classes. Guess who will be footing the bill...?
Taxpayers.
The idea is that this will save money in the long run because digital textbooks are cheaper than physical books.

If they do this right, it could really be a success and set the model for other states. If they do it wrong (i.e. by getting iPads instead of a more affordable tablet), it will be a waste of money and students will spend all their time in class playing angry birds or whatever.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
It would work. But you would need solid keys on the outside and for the tablet to be locked into a hard ABS plastic case with an attached GPS tracker.
tongue.gif

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
The best use of tablets in school are notes. What they need to do is make all notes usable by the tablets. All textbooks should be tablet based. Then these things shine. Other then that, I've found them more to be a distraction then anything.

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
I have been thinking about this for years.

xPwn has a good point. There are a lot of things that can go wrong with these. Lost, stolen, damaged, etc.

I think having its own custom software would be necessary too. Some kids will just love to tinker with stuff, like us, and then something will go wrong.

Now when I was in school. The district wouldn't let you get your report cards and/or graduate if you any outstanding fees, like lost books. The same can apply here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts