Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Corsair TX850.

I am wondering if I can run a good 200$ card with no issues.

I am not sure exactly how many watts are currently being used, thats the main issue.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Will work fine. I don't think you will even use 50% of it's maximum power , with a high end card... If i remember correctly Corsair rated at 450W could handle 550W easily , so a 850W is a true beast

·
Banned
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, another thing, I have two PCI Epress 2.0 slots, but the thing is, there both not x16, the top slot is x16, and the bottom one is x8. Can I SLI anything? What would happen if I stuck a GTX260 on the x16 slot, and my current EVGA 9500 GT on the x8 slot, it says it requires x16, could I SLI or not? Funny thing is, my board says It has Crossfire support. I am not sure if I can.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Don't think sli'ing a gtx 260 and 9500gt is a good idea , even if you have 2xpci-e x16 . And your board is made for crossfire , so you won't be able to sli at all... The best option IMHO would be is to use the 9500 as a physx accelerator , and the stick it into the x8 slot ( won't affect the performance that much) . Correct me if i'm wrong

Edit: It's designed for Crossfire , but can probably do Sli too. Also did some quick research and found out that if you stick a 2nd card , both slots become 8x...
Also if i remember correctly Pci-e 2.0 is 2x faster that pci-e 1.0 , so a pci-e x8 2.0 would have the same speed as a pci-e 1.0 x16 , right? And if that is true then the performance loss will be too small to notice, since we barely cross the pci-e 1.0 speeds
And finally if you use a long card, it will block sata ports, leaving only 2. So a 3rd sata HDD would be impossible in your case

·
Banned
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akisame View Post
Don't think sli'ing a gtx 260 and 9500gt is a good idea , even if you have 2xpci-e x16 . And your board is made for crossfire , so you won't be able to sli at all... The best option IMHO would be is to use the 9500 as a physx accelerator , and the stick it into the x8 slot ( won't affect the performance that much) . Correct me if i'm wrong

Edit: It's designed for Crossfire , but can probably do Sli too. Also did some quick research and found out that if you stick a 2nd card , both slots become 8x...
Also if i remember correctly Pci-e 2.0 is 2x faster that pci-e 1.0 , so a pci-e x8 2.0 would have the same speed as a pci-e 1.0 x16 , right? And if that is true then the performance loss will be too small to notice, since we barely cross the pci-e 1.0 speeds
And finally if you use a long card, it will block sata ports, leaving only 2. So a 3rd sata HDD would be impossible in your case
If I get a bigger card, I will put it in the bottom one if they run at x8 each, cause I want my satas.

·
Banned
5,411 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by encore018 View Post
will a 650w corsair run my sig rig?
Yes... The minimum wattage for non-sli setups is around 500w if you have alot of extras (fans, harddrives, led's). For SLI, I'd say 650 watts is enough for most, 750 for those with 7 harddrives, water cooling systems, and major overclocks.

Only quad GPU systems need ~ 1000 watt power supplies.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sullivan View Post
I have a Corsair TX850.

I am wondering if I can run a good 200$ card with no issues.

I am not sure exactly how many watts are currently being used, thats the main issue.
Sullivan...without a doubt you can run a GPU within that price range!

Quote:

Originally Posted by encore018 View Post
will a 650w corsair run my sig rig?
Encore....you will be fine as well....

For both of you....take a look at this PSU calculator...there are many on the web but here is a start:

Power Calculator

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
866 Posts

·
Banned
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think it is not very accurate, the first time I used it, It said I need a 1224 watt psu for that rig that is in my sig. lol

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
a 850TX will run any gpu config pretty much
2xGTX295 would work fine with a 850TX

encore018: a 650tx will do fine with a 285 or even a 295

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.