Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum!

So my old 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 I have dedicated to windows was filling up with redundant files and unknown junk after 4 years of flawless service. I decided to go out and get a Samsung 850 Evo 250gb to replace it. Read some instructions on cloning. Decided to go with Macrium Reflect Free. Cloned the drive with no problems, expanded the OS partition from the 58 or so GB it just cloned to the remaining 250 GB on the Samsung, leaving the boot partitions alone(which were cloned as well). Set the Samsung to boot priority, attempted to boot up, NOTHING. Read a couple forum topics, proceeded to insert my windows 7 install disk, opened up Command Prompt, set the disk active, performed a start up repair, attempted to boot again... NOTHING, just a flashing cursor at the top-left of the screen.

At this point I attempted to plug in my OCZ Vertex 2 and clone it again and it will not boot. Attempted a startup repair on it and it failed.

So, I have 2 SSD's, one with a bad windows installation and one(Samsung) with a "good" installation. How can I get the Samsung to load windows?

Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, ran the commands.

sfc /scannow gives me the message: "There is a system repair pending which requires a reboot to complete. Restart windows and run sfc again."

bootrec /scanos gives me the message that it found 0(zero) windows installations.

Attempted a startup repair, it recognizes the cloned windows installation and upon attempted Startup Recovery via the boot disk, it says that there are NO problems with the installation.

Upon restart, I still get a flashing cursor.

Is there any way I can complete the system repair?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm, what is refind? Sounds interesting and how would I get it to a boot drive. My only other computer is a Macbook

·
Registered
866 Posts
You can install it to a flash drive and just see if it can find a boot drive on it. It is a boot manager that searches through all the drives and finds boot loaders and has a nice GUI. I use it for dual boots and triples boots (back when I had a macbook). I used it just a month ago since Windows boot drive goes haywire on me all the time and I just install refind through linux, on a separate drive, and it fixes it. I have not install it to a flash drive since the Refit, but here is a link.

https://mmanoba.wordpress.com/2013/08/29/howto-install-refind-on-mac-machine-or-usb-stick-hard-drive/

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont quite understand this. I have tried the commands in the article you sent me with zero success in Terminal. Is there any other way I can get the newly cloned drive to boot? I dont get why the cloned drive wouldnt boot in the first place.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im going to try to get my hands on a Windows PC to make a rEFInd USB Disk then take it from there. Worse cast scenario, Ill have to reinstall Windows, which, if I do, then im going to upgrade my MOBO and Processor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts