Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a rather weird issue. I just RMA'd another manufacturer's RAM because of instability on my system and got the TW3X4G1600C9D Corsair kit. I ended up buying 2 of those kits so I could get 8 gigs. I installed it, it recognized all 8 gigs fine on the BIOS. I let it load on all auto settings into windows. I ran CPU-Z and it picked up the memory as 533MHZ with a timing of 7-7-7-20. I restarted and it wouldn't POST. I hit the restart button, POSTed fine and I went into BIOS. Manually set it at 1600MHz, timing of 9-9-9-24, memory voltage of 1.8, NB voltage of 1.4, and HT voltage of 1.2. Memtest picked it up as 533MHz. I took 2 sticks out, and memtest picked it up as 667. So I put the 2 other sticks back in and it went back to 533 MHz. CPU-Z says the same.

The weird thing is the intermittent non-POSTing. When I restart by the BIOS or memtest or something, it won't POST. When I hard restart, it POSTs fine. I'm totally stumped on this one.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
are you overclocking the board?

Sounds like your stressing the controller. (Thats why it wont post)

Then it automatically puts the safe setting that way the PC can turn on.

The more DIMM slots you use the more stress you put on the Controller. Thats why its best to use the least amount of RAM sticks if you plan on OC

·
No desktop currently :(
2,134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoolGuy
View Post

DDR= Double data rate (Or some thing around those lines)

Dont worry your running 1066

That's the problem... He's trying to run them at 1600. I used that same board in a build for a friend, and it gave us that exact same problem, and we were only using 2x2GB sticks. I would set them to 1600, but they'd be picked up as 400 MHz (800 MHz effective) by CPU-Z, and then it would fail to boot after restarting. We just had to restart it a bunch of times and the settings finally took. I guess it's just a quirky model.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts