Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hadn't turned my computer on in a few days and when I went to do it... nothing happened. Ended up clearing CMOS and was able to get it to boot and go to BIOS to choose a profile to load. My 4.6 and 4.7ghz stable overclock profiles would both result in instant power off after exiting BIOS. I was able to get to boot and login to windows with No OC and No XMP. I tested a few times with restarts and shutdowns and was able to power back each time. I then went back into BIOS to enable only XMP, and boom. Dead again. I'm in the beginning stages of trying to trouble shoot this but seeking input from others on if this is a sign of my PSU crapping out.

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 GS 80+ GOLD, 1050W

Have had it since Nov '15.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Either monitor voltages (HWMonitor or OCCT) or forget XMP.

Background (simplified):

When any computer starts up the BIOS reads the SPD tables programmed into the memory. You can download and run CPU-Z to see the SPD tables in your memory. The BIOS then uses the memory speed and memory timings from the SPD tables that corresponds to the CPU speed that is set in the BIOS.

XMP profiles were developed to allow automatically setting not only memory speed and timings automatically, but also memory voltage. So, with the added ability to increase voltage, memory manufacturers could program SPD tables that run the memory even faster with the higher voltages available, and do that automatically too.

But the whole concept of XMP is faulted because the person writing the XMP SPD table for the memory has no idea what motherboard, CPU, what other peripherals are connected to your motherboard, nor even how many memory sticks you have installed. So, XMP profiles are just a guess at what memory overclock will work for the widest range of motherboards, CPUs, memory, and computer configurations. They have nothing to do with what your specific setup is. ... they're just a guess.

Do they work? Sometimes, sometimes not. And even if they do work it is unlikely they are the best settings for you particular setup.

Memory setting (with or without overclocking) is best done by manually setting the memory settings in the BIOS.

·
Guitar + Amp = Happiness
3,704 Posts
I like to enter my RAM timings and stuff in manually. XMP isn't always right. I'm guessing your system is fine

·
Senior OCN Member
40,776 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman_90 View Post

I like to enter my RAM timings and stuff in manually. XMP isn't always right. I'm guessing your system is fine
Just rather odd considering it was flawless the past year and the last time it was powered on displayed no issues then....bam. Won't turn on and have this pop up.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaporz View Post

Just rather odd considering it was flawless the past year and the last time it was powered on displayed no issues then....bam. Won't turn on and have this pop up.
See my last post if you missed it.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,776 Posts
What you should do is send it to EVGA for RMA and ask them to give you a G2 instead
The GS appears to have some sort of design flaw.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,776 Posts
I just recalled that the G2 1000 watt does not have any hybrid fan mode so if you want that option you should ask for a G3 instead, unless you can talk them into sending you a P2 which i doubt
The only problem with the G3 is it has a really aggressive fan profile which means the fan has large jumps in RPM which many G3 owners find annoying

Looking at the system under your sig you dont even need a 1000 watt unit something like 650-750 watt would still be more then enough
What you could do as a suggestion is RMA the GS then sell or keep as a backup whatever EVGA sends back to you and then buy a Seasonic Prime instead.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

I just recalled that the G2 1000 watt does not have any hybrid fan mode so if you want that option you should ask for a G3 instead, unless you can talk them into sending you a P2 which i doubt
The only problem with the G3 is it has a really aggressive fan profile which means the fan has large jumps in RPM which many G3 owners find annoying

Looking at the system under your sig you dont even need a 1000 watt unit something like 650-750 watt would still be more then enough
What you could do as a suggestion is RMA the GS then sell or keep as a backup whatever EVGA sends back to you and then buy a Seasonic Prime instead.
I do tend to go a bit overboard with some things, especially PSUs. Haha. With my dual pump and ridiculous amount of fans as it is, I typically go crazy with the extra power available.

I am unfamiliar with Seasonic but another PSU is probably in my future so I need to do some research.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaporz View Post

I do tend to go a bit overboard with some things, especially PSUs. Haha. With my dual pump and ridiculous amount of fans as it is, I typically go crazy with the extra power available.

I am unfamiliar with Seasonic but another PSU is probably in my future so I need to do some research.
Your EVGA GS is a rebranded Seasonic KM3S aka X but as i said i think it has a design flaw as every other Seasonic unit and rebrand dont have the same problems
With that being said the Seasonic Prime is much newer as well as better then the older Seasonic X

You can find all the reviews on the Prime and others here
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page678.htm

• Rep+
Reactions: Snaporz

·
Registered
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Your EVGA GS is a rebranded Seasonic KM3S aka X but as i said i think it has a design flaw as every other Seasonic unit and rebrand dont have the same problems
With that being said the Seasonic Prime is much newer as well as better then the older Seasonic X

You can find all the reviews on the Prime and others here
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page678.htm
I thought the EVGA GS was a different platform based on the seasonic G series not the Seasonic X series.

I agree the Seasonic Prime is new and better than the X,.

But, the Seasonic "X" or KM3 better than the EVGA GS and the Seasonic G- servies.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-H View Post

I thought the EVGA GS was a different platform based on the seasonic G series not the Seasonic X series.

I agree the Seasonic Prime is new and better than the X,.

But, the Seasonic "X" or KM3 better than the EVGA GS and the Seasonic G- servies.
The 850 and 1050 are based on the Seasonic KM3S platform

The 550 and 650 are NOT based on the Seasonic G they are based on a new and very mediocre Seasonic platform
http://www.overclock.net/t/1541939/evga-supernova-lineup-explained

1 - 14 of 14 Posts