Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a used Intel 3960x, RampageIV Formula, and 16GB of Team 2400Mhz and now that I have it all set up it wont stay on. It will make it to the initial install screen for windows where you select the language and begin the actual windows install. After that I get the wonderful BSOD from windows. I am installing Win7 Pro. I have also tried using Linux Mint 16 and that wont work either I get to the main menu to select if I want to run linux, memory test, and so on. It has failed on both. I am not sure what to do at this point the only thing I could try was a different RAM and that wouldnt work at all. Also on a side note when I first turned the psu on it started booting without me pressing the power button. Any help will be much apprecriated.
Also here are the detailed specs
Intel 3960x
Asus Rampage IV Formula
Team Group Xteme 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz 9-11-11-2400
XFX 650W XXX Edition PSU
LG DVD-RW
Samsung 32GB mSata SSD
Wester Digital 1TB 7200RPM HDD
XFX R5 230 2GB

·
Premium Member
7,160 Posts
Edit: it is probably your ram. I just remembered that the Sandy Bridge - E processors did not have very strong memory controllers and 2400mhz ram would often times not work with the processors. The first thing you should do is lower your ram settings to 1600mhz at 9-9-9-24 at 1.5v and see if it works. If not, read the stuff below.

If linux mint does not work, then it is def a hardware issue.

The first thing I would do before you go any farther is to pull out the cpu and check the motherboard socket pins and the CPU pin pads.

It is a very common issue that when someone sends you a used mobo that the pins can get damaged in the process of shipping the mobo.

The next thing I would do is run memtest (pro tip: your linux mint install medium should already have memtest on it )

The last thing you should do is flash the bios just to make sure there is no weirdo bios issue going on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did try memtest and it has come back with a couple successful passes now even at the 2400Mhz, 9-11-11-28, and 1.65 volts using only 1 of the sticks. I have read that the 3960x is very picky about what ram you use in them. It wasnt shipped to me but a friend did pick it up for so I will check the pins as well cause i could see how it might have gotten damaged if it wasnt handle the best.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update the cpu needed a little work to get working but the main issue was that for whatever reason running the system drives in ahci mode crashes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts