Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
I didn't buy this, but I bought today's Wine.woot....2 actually

·
Registered
295 Posts
I bought three of these Couldn't resist, Now i just need to make 2 more media desktops. Btw on the ordering page there is a typo they are selling the TVW600PCIE , and the TVW650PCI not Express
my first order I clicked the PCIE and didn't realize it is actually the 600. From the reviews and replys on woot they are windows 7 compatible with media center. Here's a good remote to go along with it for $14.95 http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Contro...0287582&sr=1-1

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I've had one of these for 3 years (yes, same model) and it works great. Works well with vista, works even better with Windows 7 because the last I checked Media Center in Vista did not have support for QAM tuners but 7 did. Playback wasn't all the great for me in XP MCE. I'm going to buy another one for my other PC.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Will this allow me to record 24 when the new season starts in 38 days? I don't have a DVR and am afraid I might have to work during the broadcast. I don't have windows media center (Windows 7 Business). The cable box less than 2 feet from my computer. So will this work well? Better and/or cheaper solutions? Will I need to buy anything else to make this work, like a remote other than the one I have for my TV and cable box? I have HD cable, would it record in HD? Please feel free to educate this HTPC noob.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Dang... I wish they had a 650 PCIe.

·
Premium Member
10,490 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Dang... I wish they had a 650 PCIe.

Word, I picked up one of each flavor though. I'll figure out which to keep and give the other away to my sister who's probably going to get the 23" monitor I bought yesterday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougar62
View Post

Whats the difference between the 650 and the 600? aside from one being PCI and the other PCIe

http://ati.amd.com/products/tunermatrix.html

·
Married people build too
1,494 Posts
Sorry for the noob question, but how do TV tuners work? Do they only pick up the basic, local channels?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cougar62
View Post

Whats the difference between the 650 and the 600? aside from one being PCI and the other PCIe

Read the specs on the page....

The 650 is much better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothjk
View Post

Sorry for the noob question, but how do TV tuners work? Do they only pick up the basic, local channels?

Depends. They pick up free over the air channels if you have an antenna.

They can pick up any unencrypted channel from your cable company directly.

They can pick up any SD channels from a set top box.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by durch
View Post

Will this allow me to record 24 when the new season starts in 38 days? I don't have a DVR and am afraid I might have to work during the broadcast. I don't have windows media center (Windows 7 Business). The cable box less than 2 feet from my computer. So will this work well? Better and/or cheaper solutions? Will I need to buy anything else to make this work, like a remote other than the one I have for my TV and cable box? I have HD cable, would it record in HD? Please feel free to educate this HTPC noob.

yes you can connect it to your STB and record 24, however it will do the HD. If you want to record HD from a STB you need soemthing like Hauppauge HD PVR

1 - 20 of 46 Posts