Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Introduction

I never thought I would go down this road, but I should have known that it had to come sooner or later...

Once my latest rebuild was “completedâ€, I was content with my setup for all of about 20 minutes; after which, I started to nit-pick and proceeded to tear my computer apart, again, for the umpteenth time.

The reason? It was getting too damn loud for my tastes!

Compared to my girlfriend’s desktop, which only has three regular 120 mm case fans, my tower was whisper quiet thanks in large part to the five Gentle Typhoons and two Noiseblockers laced inside my case. But even still, in the realm of quiet computing where less is more, I was yearning for more silence, which is a never-ending spiral that will, ultimately, drain every last drop of sanity, and squeeze every last penny out of even the most vigilant.

The latest culprit of noise: the stock coolers on the GTX 580’s.

At idle, they run great and blend in perfectly with the ambient noise. At full gaming load, these beasts come roaring to life â€" especially when loaded at overclocked speeds!

And thus begins my journey to drive myself to madness. After four long months of researching and piecing together the components bit by bit, armed with chopsticks in hand, I am now ready to embrace my new diet of Ramen Noodles!

... and finally build my first watercooling setup!

... without using the chopsticks.

Project Objectives

Primary Objectives
  • To quiet down my desktop when in the loaded states.
  • Develop my knowledge of watercooling and gain direct experience from this project.
  • Create a customized setup that is somewhat unique to me, for me.
Secondary Objectives
  • Maintain similar or better load temperatures as air cooling.
  • Push for higher stable overclocks, if possible.
  • Provide stable setup for future expansion for a third GTX 580.

Watercooling Parts Obtained
  • Swiftech Apogee XT Rev 2
  • 2 x Koolance VID-NX580
  • XSPC RX360
  • Swiftech MCR120-QP
  • 2 x Swiftech MCP655-B
  • EK Multioption RES X2 â€" 150 Advanced
  • Primochill PrimoFlex Pro LRT White ½†ID ¾†OD
  • 2 x Bitspower D-Plugs (C07)
  • 12 x Bitspower ½†ID ¾†OD Compression Fittings
  • 4 x Bitspower 45-degree Dual Rotary ½†ID ¾†OD Compression Fittings
  • 2 x Bitspower 90-degree Rotary ½†ID ¾†OD Compression Fittings
  • 2 x Sets of Koolance Male/Female Quick Disconnect Compression Fittings (VL3N)
  • 4 x Bitspower G¼†F/F Pass-Through Fittings
  • 10 x Bitspower Low Profile Stop Plugs
  • 10 x Bitspower Stop Plugs
  • Bitspower Crystal T-Block
  • Silver KillCoil
Other Parts/Materials Obtained
  • FTWPC Sleeving in black, white, electric blue, and orange
  • FTWPC black heatshrink
Watercooling Parts Still Needed
  • Koolance RP-452X2
  • 2 x Sets of Koolance Male/Female Threaded QDC’s

Starting Point

It’s not much, but here is a crappy, old picture from my iPhone of what I am starting out with:

There really isn’t much to see here. Much of my current setup remains largely unchanged - with the only exception being that I now have Corsair Dominators instead of the G.Skill's shown above. With regards to cooling, the GTX 580’s have their reference stock coolers, and my CPU is being cooled by the gateway drug known as the Corsair H50.

As you can see, there are also cables that require some custom sleeve work as well, which will also be a part of this project.

So without further ado, let us begin!

·
Watercooling Enthusiast
4,814 Posts
Sounds like a solid build. Most don't do this, but you can actually forgo a kill coil or pt nuke by using one of bitspower's truesilver fittings in the loop.

what are you going to use for sleeving?

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
I do love this log so far. Good luck with the watercooling and sleeving!

Also, I kind of just realized I should figure out some use for the assorted watercooling parts I have laying about...

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the lack of updates!
redface.gif

This is my main desktop and it has been decommissioned for this project since I first put up this log. Everything was literally in pieces for the past couple of days!
eek.gif
Currently, I am back at work and unable to upload any of my photos as those sites are all blocked.
frown.gif
I will try to get them uploaded as soon as possible.

As it stands, all blocks and tubing have been installed. However I ran into a problem. During the leak test, I jumped my AX1200. The power supply turns on, and I can see the fan spinning - but my MCP655-B pump does not turn on at all! No noises whatsoever, and no signs of water moving. I put my hand on the pump and there is no vibration whatsoever!
mad.gif

I did some sleeving work and checked to make sure that the molex pins were installed back in the correct locations for the pump power connector. The molex cable for the PSU has not been modded, and neither has the ATX cable, so they should not have any problems caused by my sleeving. I do have a second, identical pump, and I tested with that as well, but the same thing happens. No activity at all coming from the pump.

Currently I am at a loss of what the issue could be. I triple/quadruple checked all the connections to make sure everything was plugged in properly. I even shook, tapped, wobbled the pumps just to try and see if a bubble was possibly preventing them from starting. There is no other load on my PSU besides the pump, so perhaps this may be the issue with the AX1200? I really cannot see how two pumps are dead at the exact same time, unless heat from a blow dryer was able to damage the power circuitry on both pumps when doing the heatshrink.
thinking.gif

I will try to test with my old HX750 that is currently installed in my media PC to see if that will make a difference. If that doesn't work, I don't know what else it could be.

Please help!
frown.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkadink;14310762
Looking forward to everything! Gah wish my rig was that clean looking haha.
Thank you!
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat_italian_stallion;14312136
Sounds like a solid build. Most don't do this, but you can actually forgo a kill coil or pt nuke by using one of bitspower's truesilver fittings in the loop.

what are you going to use for sleeving?
I didn't know that. I will look into that the next time I buy some more fittings for next few projects.

For sleeving, I am using FTWPC's sleeving. Check out the link in my sig for a small review that I did a couple of weeks ago.
smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedixJarf;14312160
Cant wait too see it
biggrin.gif
Haha, same here!
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ramp;14312774
I do love this log so far. Good luck with the watercooling and sleeving!
thumb.gif

Also, I kind of just realized I should figure out some use for the assorted watercooling parts I have laying about...
thinking.gif
Thank you! I will try to maintain the integrity of this log as best as I can. And definitely make use of this spare parts!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
so very very jealous xD

·
Banned
11,409 Posts
For the pump issue, try plugging in a fan that's known to work so you can rule out the PSU. If it won't spin a fan, it needs to be RMA'd.

(And I absolutely love the OP pic.)

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmasherBasher
View Post

For the pump issue, try plugging in a fan that's known to work so you can rule out the PSU. If it won't spin a fan, it needs to be RMA'd.

(And I absolutely love the OP pic.)

Seems like it's a no go on the pumps.
I tested both on two different power supplies - my AX1200 and my HX750. Both pumps are unresponsive and both PSU's have no problem running their normal loads or fans either. It's a statistical anomaly!

I'm going to have to stop by microcenter right after work tomorrow and pick up another pump just to make absolutely sure.

I have to say that this project is getting more and more expensive by the day lol.

Thank you guys for the compliments on the picture. My diet inspired it.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Apologies for the lack of updates!
redface.gif

I finally figured out the whole pump issue. I went to Microcenter a few days ago and bought yet ANOTHER Swiftech MCP655-B. As soon as I opened the package, I realized my bonehead move... I completely reversed the molex connections!
eek.gif
doh.gif

I felt pretty dumb, as I hooked up the new pump and sure enough it fired away without a hitch.
doh.gif
doh.gif
doh.gif

Ah well, it looks like I will have an extra pump to sell pretty soon.
wink.gif

Anyway, the last few days were spent rearranging my loop and leak testing. I am still working on compiling my before and after comparisons and editing the photos I took. Suffice it to say, I have learned a great deal from this and I can truly say that I have a VERY deep appreciation for anyone who has partaken in any sort of watercooling project. While it isn't hard, per se, it can certainly be a lot of work to make a setup look elegant and simple. Those who have even more extravagant loops, I give you guys major props!
thumb.gif

I will add more to this as soon as I can, but for now, here is a small glimpse of what my setup looks like right now:

set01.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
G'damn that looks beautiful Covertash.
drool.gif

Congrats on making the move to WC, in the future I may be looking to watercooling as my 580s are giving me headaches when playing The Witcher 2 with Ubersampling at stock clocks.
doh.gif

Maybe you can help me out since I'd be that guy that completely forgets to secure a hose and ruins everything in my case.
tongue.gif

Love the little customization done to the "AX" on your PSU, don't think we wouldn't notice.
ninja.gif

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Man, I though this was about RAMEN! I miss living in Japan!!!

Anyhow, awesome build.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbalt89;14387647
G'damn that looks beautiful Covertash.
drool.gif

Congrats on making the move to WC, in the future I may be looking to watercooling as my 580s are giving me headaches when playing The Witcher 2 with Ubersampling at stock clocks.
doh.gif

Maybe you can help me out since I'd be that guy that completely forgets to secure a hose and ruins everything in my case.
tongue.gif

Love the little customization done to the "AX" on your PSU, don't think we wouldn't notice.
ninja.gif
Thank you for the kind words!
thumb.gif

Sadly, it's true what they say: watercooling is indeed a slippery slope. There are a number of things I still/already want to change about my loop, but for now, this will be how it looks until I can afford the remaining parts of my upgrade/project.
redface.gif

I would certainly be glad to help out, just ask. I'm only a newbie myself but I will do the best I can.
smile.gif

Haha, ah yes, the AX sticker - I knew the astute would take notice.
biggrin.gif
It actually looks good at that angle in the above picture, but in person not so much. I will post more detailed pictures later on and you'll see what I mean. As I continue sleeving my cables, I will also fix the sticker as well, and eventually show a before and after comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlitos714;14387674
Man, I though this was about RAMEN! I miss living in Japan!!!

Anyhow, awesome build.
Lol, thank you!
biggrin.gif

Oh I didn't forget about the Ramen! That update will surely come in due time. My recipes are definitely not as good as anything you will find in Japan, but it's better than the plain stuff.
wink.gif

·
RGB Numba Wan!
23,324 Posts
sub'd
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wermad
View Post

sub'd

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davs
View Post

You should get a dress kit for that d5 so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb in an otherwise good looking build.

Haha, I agree, the D5 doesn't look very good in stock form.

I actually do have two matte black dress kits for both (well, now it's all 3) of my pumps. Originally, I wanted to use them with a Bitspower Dual D5 MOD Top, but after having the experience of setting this whole thing up, I decided I will go for a Koolance RP-452X2 instead to clear up the clutter in that area.

The good thing is, this is still a major work in progress and I still have much to learn. For now, it looks like the stock pump will have to do for the next week or so.
And thank you for the kind words!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts