Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right boys and girls I'm going to cram a 360mm radiator into my Tempest. I know at least one other person has managed this on OCN so let's see how I fare.

The major components arrived a few days ago
wheee.gif
so I can now start to think about the placement of parts the rad obviously being the hardest to fit.

The rig:
•CPU: i7 920 OC 4.0 GHz 1.35v
•Motherboard: Asus P6T 1366 SLI
•Memory: OCZ 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
•Graphics Card's: XFX ATI Radeon 4890 CF
•Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB +western digital 300GB
•PSU: Chieftec 850W
•Case: NZXT Tempest

Snorkle.gif
Water cooling parts so far:
•Reservoir: Magicool Plex 250
•CPU block: EK Supreme LT Plexi
•Radiator: Swiftech MCR320 Stack replaced with Alphacool NexXxoS Xtreme III Rev.2 360 rad
•Pump: Phobya DC12-400
•MAYHEMS SILVER COIL 99.999 % FINE SILVER

31082011134.jpg

Yes this will be a CPU only loop as I don't think getting blocks for the aging radeons is cost effective. I will be swapping out the twins for a new card ones my budget allows, so maybe I will get a block for that.

And here are some pictures to show what my rig looks like before I start the dismantling. (Sorry for the ****y quality. I don't have access to a proper camera at the moment)

05092011162.jpg

31082011140.jpg

31082011141.jpg

UPDATE 5.9.2011

Initial disassembly complete.
Rig now running happily in the ghetto box
cheers.gif

05092011174.jpg

05092011173.jpg

As I suspected the rad is to thick to fit above the motherboard so my only to options are to ether mod the top or the bottom for extra space.

UPDATE 18.9.2011

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I considered it but as they are getting pretty old I might just get a new card all together.

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So no real progress has been made but I i thought I might as well post about the setbacks I've had wit the rad mounting.

I did have several ideas about the rad placement but one after another they kept failing.

So at Nr.1

The classic top mount
06092011199.jpg

Unfortunately due to the 5.25 bay frame the rad can not bee mounted far enough to the side to clear even low profile ram. If only there was 1 or 2 mm more room the rad would fit.

Nr.2

Front intake
06092011203.jpg

This seemed really promising even if I would be forced to give up my optical drive. The problem was that even after flipping the HD cage for extra space the HD's would not fit. One possibility would be to come up with a alternative mount for the HD's but I'm not confident I would be able to make it look good.

Nr.3

Between the mobo and the 5.25 bays
06092011204.jpg

Now I really wanted this to work and I got as far as to checking all the clearance and then Oh snap!
06092011206.jpg

No space for the 6-pin power connectors
frown.gif

Why oh why didn't I buy nvidia cards.

Nr.4

Now if done right this could have been a really cool mod. The idea was to mount the rad between the case and the plastic top and then build a extension shroud to fill the gap.
06092011192-1.jpg

06092011193.jpg

06092011194.jpg

06092011198.jpg

But alas it was not to be. The rad is just a tad to long and interferes with the front I/O.
06092011201.jpg

I just had to be gready and get a 360 didn't I
rolleyes.gif

A 240 would have been sooo easy to fit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oh I wanna see how this ends
tongue.gif
Had the same idea tbh, but thought it was risky.

However, I do have 2 240 rads mounted inside the case, without any modding. Just had to remove the hdd cages and mount the hdd in a 5'25 bay. The rad fit in nicely, supported by the front fans. You are kind of restricted to 1-2 hdd's though :\

Got an idea for that... Drill 2 holes on the top and put the rad there, with the entrances of the rad facing the inside of the case (fitting the holes). Remove the 140mm fans at the top and just put 2 120mm from inside the case (should require little, if any drilling).

Keep up the good work
smile.gif

·
Not having a good time
2,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit_reaper;14829618
That's right boys and girls I'm going to cram a 360mm radiator into my Tempest. I know at least one other person has managed this on OCN so let's see how I fare.

The major components arrived a few days ago
wheee.gif
so I can now start to think about the placement of parts the rad obviously being the hardest to fit.

Yes this will be a CPU only loop as I don't think getting blocks for the aging radeons is cost effective. I will be swapping out the twins for a new card ones my budget allows, so maybe I will get a block for that.

And here are some pictures to show what my rig looks like before I start the dismantling. (Sorry for the ****y quality. I don't have access to a proper camera at the moment)

UPDATE 5.9.2011

Initial disassembly complete.
Rig now running happily in the ghetto box
cheers.gif

As I suspected the rad is to thick to fit above the motherboard so my only to options are to ether mod the top or the bottom for extra space.
Grab some of these (LINK) and convert those 140mm over to 120mm and then drop them down inside the case like I did and then place you RAD up top:

Example:
attachment.php?attachmentid=228112&stc=1&d=1315562522

I was planning on placing my radiator up top there with this conversion

EDIT:
You could probably mount the 140s you have to the underside there with the stock screws but I never tried it.

EDIT#2:
I didn't notice you got a 120X3 RAD...If you got a 120X2 RAD then my suggestion would work flawlessly. sorry

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Unfortunately due to the 5.25 bay frame the rad can not bee mounted far enough to the side to clear even low profile ram. If only there was 1 or 2 mm more room the rad would fit.

just cut a piece of the bay out

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE 9.9.2011

Yeah so progress has been kind of slow but I did pick up a Cool Master back plate for the cpu block.

supremeLT.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback;14876297
just cut a piece of the bay out
I might do that but the piece would need to be quite big so I'm not sure the bay frame would be rigid enough afterwards.

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE 18.9.2011

So after a quiet week I have some major updates.
Marked out the cpu bracket hole and some other cuts and then dremel time
biggrin.gif

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

Rounded of the edges wit a file and sandpaper.
IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

Here I'm making some fastening brackets for the rad from an old piece of aluminum.
IMG_0133.jpg

Then the dreaded top mod, no going back after this. Drilled some holes for the bards to go thru.

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

Then over to paint. Yes I was to lazy to take the hole case apart so I'm just painting it as is.
IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

Ended up with some runs and I should have bought more paint as the coat was left a little thin at places.

IMG_0161.jpg

Next up sound proofing.

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE 22.9.2011

So I put in some sound dampening foam and started to do some initial cabling.
IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

At first I was thinking of doing a push pull on the rad but after some consideration I opted for just pull. Like in the pictures below.

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

Connected the fans to my testing PSU to check fan noise. Good thing I did as one of the fans was way noisier then the rest. Swap't out the fan for another and now I'm happy with the noise levels. Continued to fit more of the stuff and here is what I got at the moment.

IMG_0196.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh ****. I broke the dame rad
frown.gif
Accidentally used one of the longer screws and punctured the radiator sigh. This build just got a hole lot more expensive. So until I can get another rad this build is on hold.

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I picked up a new rad today. Its a Alphacool NexXxoS Xtreme III Rev.2 360 rad. The old barb holes did not line up so I had to enlarge them so that the new rad would fit. Its not exactly pretty but at least it works.

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE 25.9.2011

The new radiator is now in place. Used some electrical tape to cover up the gaps so that dust stays out of the case. I also moved the pump to a new place that is lower. Flushed the system and rinsed with distilled water. I'm now pretty much set for final assembly and leak testing.

I'm close to finishing
wheee.gif

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lol. Yeah to get a 360 to fit under the top cover it can be 26mm high max. At the end of the day I pic't performance over aesthetics.

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE 27.9.2011

ITS DONE
cheers.gif

Yes blood, sweat and a broken rad later this thing is finally up and running.
Finished the cable management and fitted all the hardware.
IMG_0246.jpg

Fill up and leak testing was relatively problem free even as the rad liked to hold on to its bubbles.
IMG_0258.jpg

Leek testing complete. Still bone dry.
IMG_0260.jpg

Time for the first power up. This is when I almost **** my pants. The computer would not start instead only giving a short flicker and then turning of. My thoughts immediately turned to a short and I even started to disassemble the thing before I noticed the 8-pin CPU power connector was not plugged in
doh.gif
Plugged the connector in and what do you know it booted up perfectly.

More pics
wheee.gif

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts