Overclock.net banner

[WorkLog] ~Update #1~ Water Cooling I7 920 Internal Rad Antec 900

2464 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  riflepwnage
Overview
Well i usually just get an after market air cooler for cooling my CPU, but this time i have decided to take the plunge for water cooling

Well its been about 4-5 months forgot to update this but i finished this a while ago works great

Plan
Mount the Radiator in the Antec 900 Hard drive bay and use the floppy drive mount for two hard drives.

[X]HW Labs Black Ice GTX Xtreme 240 Dual 120MM Radiator
[X]PT Nuke Copper Sulfate Biocide
[X]Laing D4 MCP650
[X]1 Inch Corner L Bracket 4X
[X] Silverstone 120MM FN121 Case Fan Black ~1200RPM 26.6DBA 53.24CFM X2
[X]Thermochill Mounting Screws 1-1/4IN for Closed Corner Fans (4 Pack) X2
[X]Primochill Polypropylene Tee for Water Cooling T Line 1/2IN Barbs
[X]D-TEK Customs Liquid F/X UV Dye Water Cooling Additive Visible Blue
[X]XSPC X2O Delta CPU Block V3 LGA775 AM2 CPU Water Block G1/4
[X]Danger Den Tubing Plug for 1/2IN ID Tubing (Single Plug)
[X]Masterkleer Pvc Tubing 7/16IN ID 5/9IN OD 10 Feet
[X]Distilled Water

Images

Mounting 2 Hard Drives with 1 Floppy Drive Mount

Mounting Rad in HD Bays with L 1 Inch Brackets

Final Product
  • Rep+
Reactions: ira-k
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
26,933 Posts
Hey nice start! Look forward to seeing the build. I bet you'll like WC'ing, most do. You can get better clocks with a higher v-core and lower temp's. Plus its just a lot of fun to play with..
..I like you rad mounts!

I'll leave you my PDF, its just the way I set my rigs up, it has my coolant recipe in it to if you haven't already decided on one.

· Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by noahmateen1234 View Post
If you don't mind me asking. Where did you get those aluminum L brackets? Also what size were they?
picked them up at my local Home Hardware, cost me 29 cents each they are 1 inch brackets

• Rep+
Reactions: noahmateen1234

· Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
added more pics rad has now been mounted :O

· Registered
831 Posts
Someone referred me to this thread. Nice! Pretty much what I ahd in mind for my build.

· Premium Member
17,971 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
hey quick question on your setup....
So your pulling in cold air from the front and pushing hot inside the case right?
And your using you top and rear as exhausts.

I was wondering if you would have better results.. reverse mounting the top fan pulling in air, the rear fan pulling air, and the side door fan pulling in air.. and the two fans on the rad pushing OUT the front.
What do you think? this way you would not have any hot air inside the case.

· Registered
468 Posts
Nice work! I had the exact same setup in my 900 for a while. You're going to want to get some foam or something to fill in around the sides and top of the rad so that air has only one path, through the rad. Also, tape up the holes on the side of the drive cage so that no air gets out that way either. Doing these 2 things lowered my temps 5c in my setup. I was using a restrictive BIX2 tho, so you might not need it as badly as I did!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellyHans
View Post

hey quick question on your setup....
So your pulling in cold air from the front and pushing hot inside the case right?
And your using you top and rear as exhausts.

I was wondering if you would have better results.. reverse mounting the top fan pulling in air, the rear fan pulling air, and the side door fan pulling in air.. and the two fans on the rad pushing OUT the front.
What do you think? this way you would not have any hot air inside the case.

This isn't a good idea. The air inside your case is going to be warmer than outside, and you want to feed the rad the coldest air possible. The temp difference between the air from outside through the rad and into the case won't be severe enough to affect internal temps. Feeding air that has been warmed by everything inside your case can have a noticeable impact on temps in your loop.

The best setup for all temps in my 900 was with two fans blowing in through the rad, a low speed fan blowing in on the side panel, and a medium speed fan exhausting through the rear, and the top fan on high.

· Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by javier View Post
Nice work! I had the exact same setup in my 900 for a while. You're going to want to get some foam or something to fill in around the sides and top of the rad so that air has only one path, through the rad. Also, tape up the holes on the side of the drive cage so that no air gets out that way either. Doing these 2 things lowered my temps 5c in my setup. I was using a restrictive BIX2 tho, so you might not need it as badly as I did!

This isn't a good idea. The air inside your case is going to be warmer than outside, and you want to feed the rad the coldest air possible. The temp difference between the air from outside through the rad and into the case won't be severe enough to affect internal temps. Feeding air that has been warmed by everything inside your case can have a noticeable impact on temps in your loop.

The best setup for all temps in my 900 was with two fans blowing in through the rad, a low speed fan blowing in on the side panel, and a medium speed fan exhausting through the rear, and the top fan on high.
well i actually finished this project just forgot to update it, because the cable work is horrible due to the lack of space

will post pics soon and update this thread

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.