Overclock.net banner

Do You think it is right to be charged $50 + $30/month to play World of Warcraft

• Yes

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 86.7%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to be a rampant Warcraft 3 player, now they have released WOW that in addition to the cost of buying the game you maust pay $30/month to play online. Since it's release I have stopped playing my Blizzard Games.

Do You think it is right for them to charge $50 + $30/month to play the game?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

I can't stand Warcraft...but to pay $30/mo for any game is a scam.

When I was playing Warcraft 3 online, I was one the the founding members of my clan, a shamen and the webmaster for the clan website. My disgust in WOW and blizzard forced me away from that game and my group, during my loss of clan I found OC.net, now this is my new home online. We may not have a game server up yet, but this is still my far the best online community that can be found.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Man, 30 bucks to play per month. I played the beta and it was alright, but no way for 30$ additional per month.

I really like the concept of MMORPG's, but in all honesty I have not found one recently that I have wanted to play past beta (I have played WOW, EQ2, Matrix Online). It is all about and xp treadmill, boring quests to get some mediocre item that all the other shamans/chanters/warriors have or have had. The devs are going to have to change their direction if I am giong to pay more than just for the software to play a MMORPG.
I want to ditto you mfillpot that this is a great online community. A lot of people experimenting with their systems and sharing information freely.

Everyone have a great New Year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot

When I was playing Warcraft 3 online, I was one the the founding members of my clan, a shamen and the webmaster for the clan website. My disgust in WOW and blizzard forced me away from that game and my group, during my loss of clan I found OC.net, now this is my new home online. We may not have a game server up yet, but this is still my far the best online community that can be found.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

I may have only been here for a short while, but i totally agree.
The only grumble i have is the lack of UK members - its sometimes nice to chat to people about local stuff - and also to sell bits to people in the UK!!

I cant wait for the OC.net game server (if they do it in the end - if not i may have to do something myself)

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
its not $30 a month.
its $15 a month, but you can buy 3mo cards form bestbuy or the likes for $30

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDriver

its not $30 a month.
its $15 a month, but you can buy 3mo cards form bestbuy or the likes for $30

Whatever amount it is, it's still not right to charge a monthly fee for a game that you payed $50 to purchase.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I thought it was 15 instead of 30 per month, but still, they need to give me a lot more for me to even consider paying a monthly fee. Then again, I have only found one game that I have continued to play over the years (counterstrike and now CS Source). All the rest just get boring for some reason.

Quote:

Whatever amount it is, it's still not right to charge a monthly fee for a game that you payed $50 to purchase.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

God damn, what the hell are they thinking.

$50 bucks for the game, $30 to play, and $40 for cable.... There goes $120

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
actualy if you were like me
$80 game
$30 3mo subscription
$50 mo for cable x3mo subscription= $260 to play a game for 3mos

when I look at it in that way I feel kinda riped off

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDriver

actualy if you were like me
$80 game
$30 3mo subscription
$50 mo for cable x3mo subscription= $260 to play a game for 3mos

when I look at it in that way I feel kinda riped off

Here is the ripped off numbers:

50-80 to buy the game
$15/month for online playing = $180 for a year
$30/month for high speed internet = $360 a year.

at $50 purchase cost, the game will cost you $590 in the first year.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I can see why they have to charge a monthly fee, just like Planet Side, when all the servers are owned by that company, someone has to pay for them. But I think if they're gonna charge a monthly fee, they should just give you a copy of the game, or only charge like 5-10 bucks for it.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

I can see why they have to charge a monthly fee, just like Planet Side, when all the servers are owned by that company, someone has to pay for them. But I think if they're gonna charge a monthly fee, they should just give you a copy of the game, or only charge like 5-10 bucks for it.

I agree

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
as far as multiplayer RTS goes just the overall funfacter of warcraft2 takes top honors...

i used to work at a cybercafe running 30 computers with the sole purpose of letting business men drink coffe and check the net "those people suck"
the other purpose was to play mass amounts of multi play games

well it sucked that the place closed at 11pm... untill i got a job there
needless to say i decided to take the 6pm to 11pm shift well into the morning
war craft 2 was our favorite for the longest time same with c&c..
as for FPS games lots of Dukenukem 3d, and lots of Quake the original, and a few doom2 deathmatches as well
.. when i worked there and quake came out i invented the ultimate FPS weapon... The Circle Strafe

and stil to this day would prolly still be a seriouse threat at warcraft2 with my bloodlust attack atack atack tacktics.... and if that doesnt work at first trust me it will later because part of that attack consists of Runes in between your gold mines and your town hall, so say BUH buy to your PEONS !!!!

anyways blizzard has been letting me down since starcraft came out. the overall funness of the game just isnt there same with westwood red alert was the last game that they created that was any fun... and generals is anoying because the troop building is limited to clicking on the buildings that create them,,,, PUT that back in the side bar morons, what am i going to do come attack you and then come back to my base and rebuild my army???
no i should constantly be clicking on tanks and troops for my second attack

anyways i posted way too muich info on the subject but who cares i like to babble

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

i agree

they can charge 50 bucks for the game but they should give you your first 3 months free.. tat way you can really decide if its worth paying for and they also get there revinues for the game

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
^^^ well they do give 1mo free with it, at least they did w/ the collectors edition. plus I got a free 10 day subscription for a friend.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
one month thats what they should give you for a demo just to try it

like some other titles out there they need to get you hooked first before you start paying...
i love the guys who give you a one month trial of there full game i think thats awesome that they do that... i still dont pay for any online games because i dont have time for that... i know your saying but your on OC.net all the time

well i do almost nothing at work and when im working my hardest is when im sitting in front of my company given laptop pluggin away in OC.net listening for any Feedback or any power point errors

I am an Audio technician and work is pretty easy for me

·
Registered
698 Posts
*commits dark arts of thread Necromancy*

Personally I like the model of Eve (http://www.eve-online.com) the game is free and the expansion was free as well, all you pay is the subscription fee. I liked the game, but the only MMORPG that will ever have a place in my heart is Earth and Beyond and if I ever make enough cashola, I fully intend to aquire the code and all intllectual properties related to it and start the game up once again!

Edit: Granted with Eve, you do have to pay an account creation price but it is cheaper than a full game (19.95) and has your first month included.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts