Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
At the Huawei P9 phone launch in London's Battersea on Wednesday 6 April the Chinese company made a lot of noise about its new camera features. And for good reason: it's the only company to brandish Leica co-engineering and a unique dual camera arrangement (other makers have dual cameras, but not with one as a black-and-white-only monochrome sensor).
Source: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/137230-huawei-p9-camera-explored-a-lot-to-leica

So what do you think? I'm not that impressed by the quality of photos taken with it, they should have really aimed for something like Nokia 808 PureView with ND filter and all such things.

That artificially generated depth of field blur looks bad, like in this photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/eloygomeztv/26315683305/

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I haven't seen any solid reviews yet, but on paper the phone looks great spec wise. I did see where the two lenses worked in conjunction to focus on an object and make a nice blurred background... it looked fantastic. At the end of the day though, no matter how good it turns out to be, it will only be good for a cell phone. Software can't compensate for a full size sensor and real glass of a dslr or a mirrorless. The P9 did look great though and the software looked good too, which has been a downfall of Huawei. They've been making great hardware for awhile now, it's been the software that wasn't good. Hopefully their partnership with Google on the Nexus line is paying off.

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
No more of a marketing term than Nokia and Sony using Zeiss lens.

Although the monochrome sensor is interesting.

·
Banned
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post

No more of a marketing term than Nokia and Sony using Zeiss lens.

Although the monochrome sensor is interesting.
On Nokia 808 PureView it wasn't just a marketing term, it really performed very well. On other phones it is.

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
The Lumia 808 has a monstrous sensor and well-designed optics. The name slapped on the lens is purely marketing.

Zeiss makes good optics the same way Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Tamron, and many others do.

·
Banned
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post

The Lumia 808 has a monstrous sensor and well-designed optics. The name slapped on the lens is purely marketing.

Zeiss makes good optics the same way Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Tamron, and many others do.
Not Lumia 808, it was Nokia 808 PureView.

I wonder how many companies can make good lens to match such a 41 megapixel sensor like Zeiss, I don't think Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Tamron, etc can.

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
Yes, we were talking about the PureView. Sorry I forgot the extra word.

Re. manufacturers, whatever you say. You seem to believe you're the only one that knows a thing or two about photography, so I'll just proceed to let you be
:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts