19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setup Single Loop:

- swiftech mcp350 pump
- ocz hydroflow cpu block
- swiftech mcr220 dual rad
- swiftech micro res v2.
- primochill pro lrt 3/8id 1/2od
- g1/4 3/8 barbs on block(metal stock ones that came with block, not plastic or nylon)

Hey all. So, after a few days of being leak free, I decided to tighten my steel worm drive clamps(not the smooth band type) a bit more on the cpu block because it didn't look tight enough. It then started to leak after I tightened it. At first, I thought I cut the tubing because it was a snug fit. I cut off power to the pump and really loosened the clamps and slid it far away from the block. I switched the power back on to the pump and then there were were no leaks. So, I put the clamp back on again and tightened it. It then started to leak again. I was thinking maybe it was leaking from a loose barb, or cracked block, or cut tube. But nothing, it seemed to leak when the clamp was on and tightened. Not too tight either, but just snug. I ended up replacing the worm clamps on the block with nylon clamps for now until I receive my spring clamps in mail. I have had no leaks since changing them.

I suspect the leaks were caused by the tightening of the worm drive clamp on soft tubing that caused the tube to form a little opening that allowed fluid to leak.

I know majority of people had great success with worm drive clamps, but have any of you had bad experiences with them? Or any thoughts as to what happened with my leak and prevention?

Thx

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that's what I was thinking that the tube was so soft it caused an opening when tightening the clamp. I'm guessing if it was on more rigid tube it would've worked, but not for the primochill pro LRT. I got those worm clamps from home depot, they were the smallest size for clamping range 1/4" - 5/8".

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,123 Posts
I am just getting into water cooling, and as I was reading one of the topics today, it mentioned that you do not want to tighten the worm clamps too hard or it will cause the tube to leak.
Your hypothesis about the clamp causing the tube to form an opening sounds about right... perhaps the tube is getting squeezed out of shape.

Are you able to stay leak free now if you don't tighten it all the way?

I will go look for the guide I was reading earlier.
Well, I cant find the thing, but I definitely read a few hours ago that putting them on too tight can potentially cause a leak on an otherwise non leaking loop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't leak if I don't tighten it all the way. But by that time, the clamp doesn't look like its fully encircling the circumference of the tube and gives me that uneasiness that it's not secure. After changing the clamps to some temporary nylon ones there hasn't been a leak. The nylon ones seem to fully circumference the tube.

Since then, I've ordered some spring clamps and will replace those nylon ones once they've come. So far though, the nylons seems to be doing good.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I never had any problems when i was using them before... only problem is when i stick my hand in to do something and cut myself on them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts