Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

On monday I'll be receiving a ASUS DCII GTX580 for SLI with my EVGA 580.
The DCII will be in my first pci-e slot and the EVGA card will be in the second PCI-E slot which is 4 slots down so the tri-slot card will be close to the back of the EVGA GTX580 since theres no slot between the 3 slot cooler and the back pcb of the EVGA . Is there a risk of shorting or something ? Is the 3 slot cooler going to press on the back of the EVGA or has ASUS made a tiny tiny gap so the ASUS wont push against the back of my second card ? The last option would be a better spaced mobo (if there is one , mine is spaced pretty far ) or a bigger case and both cost money which I dont have atm .
Oh and the HAF932 has fans in every position and has been modded with extra fans so the EVGA will receive cool air from a fan blowing from the bottom next to the psu and the side panel 4 fans with a fan tied onto the HDD bays will give air to the DCII
What do you guys think ?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,315 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But then I'd have to import them , but then again , my aunt lives in the USA so I'll could buy them and have them shipped to her and then pay her to post it to me . Its a little effort but if it comes to that then I'll do it . Wont that stress the pci-e slot ?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillmiester
View Post

Could just use electrical tape.

+1

Put electrical tape on the exposed metalic parts of the cooler of the above card. Problem solved.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
There's enough room, if you're really concerned about it, get a backplate for the EVGA card or just swap it so that the DCII is on the bottom.

·
Software Developer
7,231 Posts
Don't cover up the backing with electrical tape, as it gets hotter, you will get goo all over the back of your card, and the tape will eventually curl up. Unless its good temp resistant tape. All you have need to do is use a non-conductive object (piece of plastic) that has a high temperature density, use it as a spacer between the cards.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyt Ryda
View Post

But then I'd have to import them , but then again , my aunt lives in the USA so I'll could buy them and have them shipped to her and then pay her to post it to me . Its a little effort but if it comes to that then I'll do it . Wont that stress the pci-e slot ?

They sell it at every hardware store lol

At least they used to, not sure about now.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
The cards will probably not short out. I've had GTX470's, 5850's and 6970's touching directly onto each other in the past without any issue except high temps.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks like theres space so I'll fit it and it should work , I'll look at hardware stores , they should have but maybe its not needed .
I'll post some pics when I get it and see how it looks.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RagingCain
View Post

Don't cover up the backing with electrical tape, as it gets hotter, you will get goo all over the back of your card, and the tape will eventually curl up. Unless its good temp resistant tape. All you have need to do is use a non-conductive object (piece of plastic) that has a high temperature density, use it as a spacer between the cards.

You wouldnt cover the whole card only parts that would keep it from touching.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts