Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Intel 4670k, 12 gb of ddr3. 3 ssd 500 mb/s. wx 4100 4gb radeon.
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. This is a picture of my motherboard. I purchased it preowned from some stranger locally. the psu doesn't plug in where the yellow highlight is. Is this a problem? Do I need to buy a new psu asap?
Passive circuit component Circuit component Product Hardware programmer Electronic engineering

·
Senior OCN Member
42,053 Posts
The PSU is an old 20 pin where the moterhboard is a 24 pin board
Yes get rid of the PSU a 20 pin PSU is at least 10 years old if not twice that

• Rep+
Reactions: crowhigh

·
Registered
894 Posts
Personally I've got a 20 pin power supply running my 3700x (130W) & 6600XT (162W) using a 20 to 24 pin adaptor, and 4 to 8 pin CPU adaptor - no plans to retire it. This pin miss match isn't necessarily a problem - there isn't enough information to say one way or the other. Depending on the traces for power on the motherboard, it may be better if you used a 20 to 24 pin adaptor. If the PSU is an old no name, most people would say it has no business being connected to a PC regardless if the PSU is 20 or 24 pin. But if it was a quality made unit (good caps) and it wasn't mistreated (used to exhaust CPU heat) or used 24/7/365/10+ years, all you might need is a 20-24 pin adaptor.

Also, keep in mind, this is a z97 (haswell/broadwell era?). It's coming up on 10 years old. A 10 year old PC is only worth a bit more than a "good" power supply (cost), so you might just want to leave it and buy something new if it breaks. And back up your data regularly (which you're already doing, right?)

• Rep+

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mike7877. I have a Enhanced power supply (bronze) Item ENP-7025B-NBA1 250 watt. I don't know what PFC is but it comes with it. It only has two sata connectors. I realized the other power supply I'm using to power my third ssd is a 300 watt HP lite on psu. 24 pin. So I re arranged the HP psu to power the mother board and I'm using the Enhanced bronze psu to power my third sata ssd hard drive.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Thanks Mike7877. I have a Enhanced power supply (bronze) Item ENP-7025B-NBA1 250 watt. I don't know what PFC is but it comes with it. It only has two sata connectors. I realized the other power supply I'm using to power my third ssd is a 300 watt HP lite on psu. 24 pin. So I re arranged the HP psu to power the mother board and I'm using the Enhanced bronze psu to power my third sata ssd hard drive.

3.5" hard drives use 5-6 watts - it doesn't need its own power supply.

PFC is power factor correction - it's probably a decent supply. I'd get a 20 to 24 pin adaptor though (they're like $10)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Oh, and if you're using an entire power supply to power just one hard drive, it may break because its rails aren't loaded enough. Up in smoke break, take your hard drive with it break... don't do it.

Get yourself a SATA power splitter (y adaptor), and in the mean time don't use that hard drive!!!

edit: A 250 watt power supply is more than enough for a haswell/broadwell processor (88W) + lower mid tier video card (75W) and 6 hard drives (35 watts). You still have over 50 watts left

• Rep+

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again Mike7877. I unplugged the 250 watt 20 pin. I plugged my other ssd's into my Lite on HP psu since it has the extra sata connectors and from what you said. Phew good thing you replied to this thread. The enhanced psu literally only has two sata power connectors.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Thanks again Mike7877. I unplugged the 250 watt 20 pin. I plugged my other ssd's into my Lite on HP psu since it has the extra sata connectors and from what you said. Phew good thing you replied to this thread. The enhanced psu literally only has two sata power connectors.
I probably didn't stress the importance of PFC enough in my post. Yes, the 300 watt unit is better to use in the interim because of its connectivity, but the 250 watt 80 Plus Bronze power supply with PFC is very likely to be higher quality and more efficient. The electricity it uses? You will be charged 30-40% less for it on your power bill than if you used the 300 watt supply. If they both take 100 watts, the 250W unit will cost you 30% less. If the 250W bronze unit is 7% more efficient (likely), the power it takes will cost you 37% less. If you want to know exactly why PFC saves you so much, just look up "power factor correction" and then "how power factor affects electricity billing" (Power factor, "PF", of non-PFC computer switch mode power supplies is usually around 0.70, PF of PFC power supplies is ~0.99). Yes, to use the 250W unit you'll need to spend $10 for the 20 to 24 pin ATX adaptor and $5 for the SATA power splitter. But that $15? You'll make back in less than a year in electricity savings, while you have the peace of mind from knowing your parts are being supplied with higher quality power - less ripple and noise makes them happy and last longer.

If what you find on PFC isn't good enough and you want me to explain power factor correction let me know and I will. It's just that I'm tired right now and a google search should lead you to pretty much what I'd say.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts