Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 558s for around 3 years and I've had the 598 before but sold them. I've barely used both, I could say I've used them for around 2 months if I was using them as a primary audio thing. Either way I really like anything that comes out of the headphones and I was thinking if it's worth getting sound card/DAC or anything since I've heard that you should definitely buy something for headphones above the 598s (not my case). I would be spending around $50 on used one, which one is good to get and what kind of improvements are expected?
Also the bridge is creaking and the glue is coming somewhat off, is that normal behavior for lightly used headphones or is there something wrong?
Edit: I used to hate wearing headphones but now I dont mind yet the cable still gets on my nerves, it would be nice if I could kill 2 flies with 1 shot. Currently I plug in the cable into the front audio jack everytime and it's straight up annoying.
Thanks

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks good, but I would rather begin with something cheaper, around $50 used that I can get in Czech republic or ship it here at reasonable cost. Do I even want AMP, DAC, sound card or something else? I'm mainly after improving the sound quality, I have no idea about anything.

·
Registered
324 Posts
http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2012/04/odac-released.html

Your going to have a hard time getting a DAC or headphone amp cheaper than NwAvGuy's. The reason being, the specifications are all public license. You can even buy your own parts and build it, but it's probably still out of your budget.

Will a sound card improve your audio? I would expect so. Integrated audio is used for budget reasons. The same reasons that make it cheap also prevent it from being the best experience. Most sound cards also come with software that can impact the end user experience. Being able to adjust the sound equalizer and add special effects all makes a difference. Some sound cards use amplifiers, which can provide more power with fewer distortions.

Is it worth the money? That depends on your entertainment budget and how much of a sound enthusiast you are...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts