Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a HD 7990 6GB and I like this card for 3D modeling and rendering, It has the speed and power I need, I came from a GTX 760 2GB which was slow at rendering and not enough memory. I am fully satisfied with the cost to performance ratio of the HD 7990 plus the 6GB of video memory, but I am open to suggestion.

In gaming it is good also but it does show some micro stutter but nothing terrible.

My question is, is it worth running this is crossfire? The prices for this are low and I can add another, it will require me to get a Crossfire motherboard and a high watt power supply, in total costing about $510 for the full upgrad (2x HD 7990, 1300w PSU, Crossfire Motherboard) or is there a cheaper better option that would be similar in speed and power to this.

My main needs are rendering high quality animation that currently with a single 7990 takes about 1 minute 30 seconds to render a single frame. (this is considered fast in the 3D rendering world but 1 minutes 30 seconds is still slow when rendering 30,000 frames at 1 minute 30 seconds each = 10 hours) 2x 7990s should in theory cut the render to about 5 hours. Are there any newer AMD or Nvidia equivalents to 2x 7990?? plus cheaper?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Could look at R9 295x2 cards. They're dual chip as well. Not 2x as fast as (edit) 2x HD 7990 but maybe 50% faster? Depending on what they cost and what you can sell your HD 7990 for, it might turn out to be a nice option compared to going quadfire with 2x HD 7990 (which does add a good amount of latency to gaming, plus the power consumption is a little rough.)

It's basically the newer HD 7990 from AMD.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivan View Post

Could look at R9 295x2 cards. They're dual chip as well. Not 2x as fast as (edit) 2x HD 7990 but maybe 50% faster? Depending on what they cost and what you can sell your HD 7990 for, it might turn out to be a nice option compared to going quadfire with 2x HD 7990 (which does add a good amount of latency to gaming, plus the power consumption is a little rough.)

It's basically the newer HD 7990 from AMD.
Nice thanks I will look into these. Can there be an 8 way crossfire? 4x 295X2?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrew3002 View Post

Nice thanks I will look into these. Can there be an 8 way crossfire? 4x 295X2?
I googled around a bit and found this: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/anyone-try-to-run-4-x-r9-295x2s.208957/

seems like it's theoretically possible for compute, though the power draw would be insane and a lot of boards have issues with just booting with 4 installed. So while 4x 295x2 for compute should theoretically be possible, it doensn't seem like it was successfully tried by much of anyone. (and gaming/crossfire is limited to 4 gpu chips, so 2x 295x2)

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
Considering you're happy with the 7990, I'd say a single 290x / 390x would be about equivilant (no crossfire issues / microstutter, but slightly less performance, single GPU solution). So honestly for you, I'd give a Fury or Fury X a try, and see how you like that (single card solution). If that's not powerful enough, add another for crossfire later. You could also grab two 290's, 290X's, 390's, or 390X's for crossfire in that budget (or a 295x2 since you said you can't crossfire with your motherboard).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts