Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm currently in the stage of getting a after market CPU cooler. I dont know weather to get a NH-D14, H100 or go all the way and get a custom WC kit.

Is it worth the extra money to get a WC loop or is it overkill for a mid-high OC.

What are your opinions?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
If you want something afford able have a look at rasa kits. They are great value for money.

How much are you wanting to watercooling?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Los Hog
View Post

It depends on what YOU want. I think your case will take a RASA RS240 kit in the top Link

I want a custom wc loop but I want to know if the performance will back up the price.

I was planing on having the rads external so I can add moar and moar and MOAR!

·
100LB Rig Club
2,573 Posts
Best, and in my case, the most expensive upgrade I have ever made.

Even a Rasa kit will be a great upgrade over just about any air cooled setup.

I think it was sidewinder that had rasa blocks on sale for as low as $40 and most other parts on sale as well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewmchugh
View Post

If you want something afford able have a look at rasa kits. They are great value for money.

How much are you wanting to watercooling?

I like the look of the rasa kits. there is just one thing that bothers me that is I saw a youtube vid of a buzzing rasa pump, that makes me think they saved money on the pump.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrcooler
View Post

I want a custom wc loop but I want to know if the performance will back up the price.

I was planing on having the rads external so I can add moar and moar and MOAR!

Cost effectiveness of Watercooling isn't the best. A good air cooler will run almost as good for your CPU.

But common, who doesn't like having water tubes in their computer and radiators huh?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaXxJaPxX;15355949
its def worth it. whether you plan on oc'ing as far as possible, or simply because your computer is your hobby, you'll enjoy it in the end. i say pull the trigger and dont look back
smile.gif
I like your way of thinking!

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I just recently decided to switch to water cooling. I'm actually still waiting on the remainder of my gear to arrive this week, but I couldn't be more excited!

I started looking at higher-end air coolers, and really didn't like how enormous they are. Not to mention, after seeing the temperature drop on my buddy's 6950's after putting a GPU block on it, I was sold (75+ down to 45 under load).

I'm starting with a CPU-only loop for now, and I picked up most of my parts from the OCN market. bmaverick is currently selling DDC-1 and 1T (ie. MCP350) pumps for $35, which was a great deal.

I was looking at the XSPC kit as well, and shied away for the same reason you did; the pump. Apparently XSPC is pretty good about replacing it for you if it goes bad within warrenty, but I also didn't like how little head pressure it generated. After I saw the DDC-1 deal bmaverick was doing, I just decided to piece mine together.

Best of luck to you!

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcooler;15355932
I like the look of the rasa kits. there is just one thing that bothers me that is I saw a youtube vid of a buzzing rasa pump, that makes me think they saved money on the pump.
Well if you add the cost of the components up the pump is almost free, I think the ones of youtube have been posted by incompetent users or they were faultly, I mean the pump is suspended underwater so that blocks the noise its self.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmchugh;15356221
Well if you add the cost of the compents up the pump is almost free, I think the ones of youtube have been posted by incompetent users or they were faultly, I mean the pump is suspended underwater so that blocks the noise its self.
"Well if you add the cost of the compents up the pump is almost free" lol

Listen to this annoying rattle: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDCnZZ1c4rg[/ame]

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmchugh;15356544
Yeh that pumps bust.
I think I will get a rasa kit and it the pump breaks/annoys me I'll replace it with a nice one.

Can you mount the res/pump outside the case (I only have 3 5.25 bays) with no problems?

The res/pump doesnt have to be at a certain hight in relation to the rad and other components does it?

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcooler;15356710
This pump looks good f I have to replace the stock one:
http://www.watercoolingshop.co.uk/12V-Laing-D5-Vario-Pump-MCP655_ARXQ7.aspx

50psi max OMG
Might want to confirm that the reservoir allows a D5 replacement. Based on what I was looking at online, I was under the impression that the pump in the kit was proprietary.

EDIT:
I'm pretty sure it's one of these in that kit:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_367&products_id=30282

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
You could, I suppose. However should you chose not to use the pump built into the res, it might generate some added resistance to your loop. With the D5 pump you probably wouldn't even really notice, however. There might even be a way to get the original pump out, but I can't tell from the pictures.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have the rasa 240 kit and it's definitely a good starting point for the price and quality of most of the components.

The only negative that I have with this kit is the tubing sucks, goes cloudy greenish over a few months and the pump is obviously not the best, but I have had no issue with pump noise.

You can add onto it and expand later down the road, definitely worth it if your just getting into water cooling and don't want to break the bank too much in the beginning.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts