Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So been out of the hardware loop for a little while but getting that itch to upgrade my PC again. So now I'm trying to get caught up on the last year or so that I haven't been paying much attention.

Currently I have a 3770k and its not bad. It gets the job done for most things but as my career advances I find my 3D modeling getting to be too much for my current build. Pretty much every part and assembly comes with notifications of limited performance and whatnot.

So I think its time to upgrade to Hex core and some DDR4. My question is though, is it worth getting the 5930k or 5820k at this point? They have been out for over 1.5 years now. Is there anything in the relatively close future coming out to replace these? Something in that price point that would be worth waiting 3-4 months for?

Also Id go for an XEON processor/work station build but I do about 50/50 gaming and 3D modeling so I think sticking with the i7 would be best.

Thanks,
Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked x Josh View Post

Hey,

So been out of the hardware loop for a little while but getting that itch to upgrade my PC again. So now I'm trying to get caught up on the last year or so that I haven't been paying much attention.

Currently I have a 3770k and its not bad. It gets the job done for most things but as my career advances I find my 3D modeling getting to be too much for my current build. Pretty much every part and assembly comes with notifications of limited performance and whatnot.

So I think its time to upgrade to Hex core and some DDR4. My question is though, is it worth getting the 5930k or 5820k at this point? They have been out for over 1.5 years now. Is there anything in the relatively close future coming out to replace these? Something in that price point that would be worth waiting 3-4 months for?

Also Id go for an XEON processor/work station build but I do about 50/50 gaming and 3D modeling so I think sticking with the i7 would be best.

Thanks,
Josh
Well 6 months ago I would have said yes. I did this actually. But now we are so close to the broadwell-e products coming out in June-ish, if you are gaming good already then you might as well wait. But if you did get a haswell-e right now, all you would need to do is literally swap out your CPU for the new one. Thats what I will be doing. I just did a 5820k system at the beginning of this year. Its been awesome using it for gaming and Im prime ready to swap it out for the new line as long as the IPC is better. If not then I would just keep my X99 setup.
 

·
New to OCN?
Joined
·
26,919 Posts
The Broadwell-E CPUs will be around 5-10% faster but the release date is Q2 2016, any way the only difference is that Broadwell-E will have a 10 core unlocked CPU unless your budget can afford a 1000-1500usd CPU then wait. if you cant wait then you can ge ta 2P sytem with 2.4 GHz cpu with 8-12 cores
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top