Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it still be worth it to build a rig with 1150 socket or wait for couple of months for possibility of newer socket boards coming out?

I was thinking of building something to play some games on it. I looked around and saw some motherboards for lga1150 going for $50-$60 but don't know if they would be bad.

I want a motherboard that has USB 3, Sata III 6Gb/s, PCI-E 3.0 x16 and I want a quadcore CPU that I can overclock. Or should I be looking for an 6 core CPU? What would be a good mobo+cpu combo for $150-$250??

Also is this card any good? SAPPHIRE 11197-05-CPO Radeon HD 7970 6GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 $209
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202134&cm_re=6gb_graphics-_-14-202-134-_-Product

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Am assuming you're on a tight budget? If you're, my suggestion would be to wait for new cpus to lunch, until then you have increased your budget and can get a better system. Buying anything other than a 4690k or better will lose its value soon.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
If you arwe going to OC you will need a z chipset unless you cant.then some h 87/81 or even h97 could oc a pentium g3258 but it will be a bottlenecl for the 7970 in some games

What games do you play? And which resolution?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was considering the pentium g3258 but its sad to hear an old card like 7970 will bottleneck it and I don't want to replace processor that soon. The i5 4690k seems appealing but I feel like I might end up spending more than I want on it. Perhaps I do need to rethink my budget. I want to have something for gaming but don't want to spend much
biggrin.gif

This future pc is intended to let me little nephew play some games and needs to run Minecraft, The Sims 3 and The Sims 4, Need For Speed Rivals and I have a collection of steam games that are a couple years old.

Do any of guys know when we can expect to see the next CPUs that are coming for lga1150? Or is a new socket board coming out for broadwell? When is a good time to consider building a PC?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
What is your current computer? If you're still using Sandy or Ivy Bridge processors, specially at least i5 maybe, then it is not worth jumping to Haswell.

That 7970 is pretty good for its price, or if you want to wait, try to get a GTX 960 instead but it might be abit more expensive since the projected price is around $250.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Because the Pentium G3258 is just 2 cores, no fancy hyper-threading or gimmicks you should expect it to limit the performance in games that recommend more than 2 cores. The good news is that unless you play AAA titles all day you likely won't have any issues.

If you're currently running an Intel "Core" series CPU or anything AMD over 6 cores you might not see much of a performance boost. If you plan on using a mechanical hard drive Sata3 is pretty much a waste and you won't notice a difference.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebus87 View Post

I was considering the pentium g3258 but its sad to hear an old card like 7970 will bottleneck it and I don't want to replace processor that soon. The i5 4690k seems appealing but I feel like I might end up spending more than I want on it. Perhaps I do need to rethink my budget. I want to have something for gaming but don't want to spend much
biggrin.gif

This future pc is intended to let me little nephew play some games and needs to run Minecraft, The Sims 3 and The Sims 4, Need For Speed Rivals and I have a collection of steam games that are a couple years old.

Do any of guys know when we can expect to see the next CPUs that are coming for lga1150? Or is a new socket board coming out for broadwell? When is a good time to consider building a PC?

Thanks!
Better components is always expensive. Unlike AMD, Intel is always strict on reducing their prices on their cpus. I made the sacrifice and got myself an i7 in my sig, now the hustle on upgrading cpu yearly or so can be minimized(or cut off) and i can focus on upgrading my gpu till the life in my cpu pass-out. If you want something cheaper and decent, an amd 8 core cpus, anything over the 8350 will do you fine for some time because until (weaker) 8 cores (hence quad core), becomes useless for gaming your games listed above will play fine. Unless you're trying to feed up your 144hz monitor or high resolution displays you don't really need to go overkill on your hardware parts. Have used the G3258 recently, it was a great cpu but I wanted flexibility if not compatibility with less hustle so I upgraded to an i7. So now until an i7 becomes useless, i can focus on updating my gpu, which gets cheaper and cheaper every day: hence there's too many of them.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
Broadwell is expected to use z87/z97 platform and is expected to hit this summer. However, it is not expected to be much more powerful than Haswell (Devil's Canyon particularly). It will be more efficient, though. Those are the rumors as I have it in my head.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electro2u View Post

Broadwell is expected to use z87/z97 platform and is expected to hit this summer. However, it is not expected to be much more powerful than Haswell (Devil's Canyon particularly). It will be more efficient, though. Those are the rumors as I have it in my head.
Better heat characteristics?

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimDoctor View Post

Better heat characteristics?
Precisely. It remains to be seen how much... but it is expected that the TDP or wattage will be significantly lower than Haswell/DC and yet it will still be approximately 3% faster. So I'm very much looking forward to Broadwell.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Thanks!
none of those games are too demanding except for nfs rivals but really you should be fine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts