Overclock.net banner

Worth replacing screen

831 2
Dropped a Moto G power 2020 and cracked the screen proper. It still works fine. Is it worth buying a replacement screen and trying my hand at repairing it? I ask as I've never tried replacing a screen. Cheers
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
I've done a couple of devices and I'd search around first and make sure you can find a complete step by step guide with pictures. They do exist for most popular devices.

Read through the guide and see if you're comfortable with it. If it requires delaminating the screen from the front be aware it's not easy and installing the replacement without breaking it can be tricky.

If you have the option to buy a new LCD+digitizer+frame and remove the internals (motherboard, battery etc) from the back before putting them into the new frame assembly, that is fairly easy.

· Registered
90 Posts
I've replaced my daughter's iPhone SE screen a year ago, and getting ready to replace it again today (she loves dropping it - gonna replace the battery too while I'm in there). If your Moto G is like the SE in that it's just screws and comes apart, it's very easy. Like building PCs, but just at a smaller scale.

I echo aelix's concerns if the Moto has adhesives affixing the screen in place complicates its replacement significantly. Plus there are specialized tools for iPhones that eases the work a lot; the guides should be able to identify if any exist for your phone.

Those concerns aside, self-replacement is definitely something you should try to tackle.

• Rep+
Reactions: maltamonk
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.