Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I want to know if its worth updating the drivers on my 4870 from 9.2 (yes mine are THAT old) to 10.X whatever the latest ones are.

Reason I'm asking is because a lot of people seem to have issues with the newest drivers. Also I'd like to know what's new about them, any gains in performance that anyone would like to brag (nicely) about
?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
if it aint broke, dont fix it.

the newest drivers are optimized for 5xxx cards. 4xxx cards performance most likely will not change, or could even drop a little.

the issues with new drivers is just ATi trying to work out the kinks with the new 5xxx cards. most single cards/single monitors are doing fine. having multiple card or multiple screens are the cases that are showing the most issues

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah so I might as well stick with my fairly outdated 9.2 catalyst? Sorry I'm asking I should have done my research but I got lazy what can I say.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'll give that a go, just looking for something to do haha

·
Banned
5,890 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelConvert View Post
if it aint broke, dont fix it.

the newest drivers are optimized for 5xxx cards. 4xxx cards performance most likely will not change, or could even drop a little.

the issues with new drivers is just ATi trying to work out the kinks with the new 5xxx cards. most single cards/single monitors are doing fine. having multiple card or multiple screens are the cases that are showing the most issues
New drivers are giving the HD48xx cards performance boosts, just look at the driver release notes.

I always upgrade no matter what unless it creates problems.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by reberto
View Post

New drivers are giving the HD48xx cards performance boosts, just look at the driver release notes.

I always upgrade no matter what unless it creates problems.

Thanks, in that case I'll be going for the new driver lol, big upgrade from 9.1 (correction from earlier lol).

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cs_maan
View Post

Thanks, in that case I'll be going for the new driver lol, big upgrade from 9.1 (correction from earlier lol).

Yup, the newest 10.3a drivers (look on OCN, it's not fully released yet) have a healthy lead over even the 10.2's. Just make sure your visual C++ stuff is fully updated if you get problems installing.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Downloading now, C++ should be up to date, think I took care of that a few days ago.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
its good to see they are still working on 48xx cards, they are still strong cards.

you can always try the new drivers and go back to old ones if they dont help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts