Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
If standard tasks include gaming, school work, web surfing, then absolutely not. Overclock that CPU a bit more to about 4.0Ghz (you may need a better cooler) and you are fine.

No point spending money if you don't have too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindrage606;15286605
Most definitely. Wait until the 2700k drops this winter.
Lol what? No......

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i do gaming and some CS5

i dont want to upgrade, but i dont want to be left behind, and see my rig parts drops prices
confused.gif

·
Registered
780 Posts
Get yourself a 2500K and a Z68 board, that way you'll be future proof for Ivy Bridge CPUs.

I heard that Intel will be dropping their P-Series boards till the end of 2011.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz;15289703
Get yourself a 2500K and a Z68 board, that way you'll be future proof for Ivy Bridge CPUs.

I heard that Intel will be dropping their P-Series boards till the end of 2011.
as in there will be new boards introduced in the end of the year?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I wouldn't bother upgrading to this generation of CPU's, your current rig is fine. I'd wait for the next round of CPUs to roll out before deciding.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengore;15288285
i do gaming and some CS5

i dont want to upgrade, but i dont want to be left behind, and see my rig parts drops prices
confused.gif
Your rig parts are always going to drop in price and IMO, as long as your computer is still performing well enough for what you do, then there's no point in upgrading yet. With new parts coming out, it's worth the wait to see how that affects the prices of other components
wink.gif

·
Registered
180 Posts
Did you noticed any problems with your current rig? I don't think it's anywhere near slow...... The main question is: is your rig holding you back doing what you do? Gaming, rendering etc. If not, I wouldn't bother upgrading untill haswell hits the market really. Just my point of view
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengore;15288285
i do gaming and some CS5

confused.gif
WAY too late for that, your parts aren't worth anything now. Welcome to the world of computing
rolleyes.gif

On the upgrade - I would for sure, I did and never looked back, I can get 5.1GHz on my 2500k without even pushing it, most people can get 4.5GHz with the push of a button, you can not with your chip unless you are running some serious water and you still won't get 5GHz. For the small price it would be to upgrade, I would go for it.

Just my .02

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc4r3d;15289809
WAY too late for that, your parts aren't worth anything now. Welcome to the world of computing
rolleyes.gif

On the upgrade - I would for sure, I did and never looked back, I can get 5.1GHz on my 2500k without even pushing it, most people can get 4.5GHz with the push of a button, you can not with your chip unless you are running some serious water and you still won't get 5GHz. For the small price it would be to upgrade, I would go for it.

Just my .02
What? He could still get some fair bob for his parts...

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
If you have too much money you can upgrade. I wouldn't do it however, except if you want to play the latest high end games.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyph3r;15289817
What? He could still get some fair bob for his parts...
By fair what do you mean? He will be lucky to get 45% of what he paid for his parts at best. If 45% is fair then I guess, but that doesn't sound fair to me.

Take a look at prices on any forum, they have dropped so much on older 1366/1156 and such its quite scary.

If you do decide to keep the system (which you still could), upgrade to a pair of video cards, or at least 1 stout one so when your next upgrade comes you only have to get a cpu/mobo/ram. If you are an Nvidia guy go for a 580.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaPoX;15289834
A small price is subjective and depends or its worth for his situation....
He could get a 2500K and Mobo for <$300, to me that is a VERY small price. That would be a HUGE upgrade over his current system.

going from 3.5GHz to over 5GHz is a huge jump for such a small amount of money, think back some years we would have had to pay $500-1000+ to get those types of jumps, so sub $300 is worth it imo.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts