Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I am using an ASUS VH238H but I kind of want to get a 2nd monitor.

I personally don't want to spend a bunch and am looking at the ASUS VG248QE

Would it be worth upgrading now or should I wait for the Gsync monitors to come out which are rumored in a couple months; also rumored to be at a minimum of $400 (which is a ton for a monitor).

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
personally, I have 2 monitors for multi-tasking and just conventional things. i still game on a single monitor because its my comfort zone.

if you feel like you need more desktop workspace, then yeah getting a 2nd monitor helps out immensely.

But if you are a casual/average gamer whose on his computer for a few hours a day then it might not be fully worth it dropping the cash for the 2nd monitor.

its simply YMMV when it comes down to these things.

don't pay the gsync monitors much attention/hype for now, who knows what they really can or cant do or if even you'll benefit from it or not.

also why not get a duplicate of your current monitor? that newegg link says its about $140 AMIR which is great considering you're hesitant on spending the cash.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DF is BUSY View Post

personally, I have 2 monitors for multi-tasking and just conventional things. i still game on a single monitor because its my comfort zone.
if you feel like you need more desktop workspace, then yeah getting a 2nd monitor helps out immensely.
But if you are a casual/average gamer whose on his computer for a few hours a day then it might not be fully worth it dropping the cash for the 2nd monitor.

don't pay the gsync monitors much attention/hype for now, who knows what they really can or cant do or if even you'll benefit from it or not.

also why not get a duplicate of your current monitor? that newegg link says its about $140 AMIR which is great considering you're hesitant on spending the cash.
Yea I am probably on my computer about 5-6 hours a day with school work and gaming (mainly FPS and Dark Souls) and the upgrade would be for higher refresh rate whereas the one I have is like 60hz.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nged72 View Post

Quote:

Yea I am probably on my computer about 5-6 hours a day with school work and gaming (mainly FPS and Dark Souls) and the upgrade would be for higher refresh rate whereas the one I have is like 60hz.
if you feel like you want to upgrade for the higher refresh rate, then by all means go for it.

higher refresh rate monitor to game on, secondary (your current) for multi-tasking, sounds like a plan.

once you go dual monitors, you'll wonder what you've been missing out on :p

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
What sort of fps are you getting now? Whats your build?

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
21,340 Posts
going back to single monitor after using dual monitors feels like chopping off an arm

viva la dual monitors

temp sensors + movie on one
desktop stuffs on the other

99% of the time spent like that without switching back and forth.

·
Stock *ahem*
6,382 Posts
Quote:

Currently I am using an ASUS VH238H but I kind of want to get a 2nd monitor.

I personally don't want to spend a bunch and am looking at the ASUS VG248QE

Would it be worth upgrading now or should I wait for the Gsync monitors to come out which are rumored in a couple months; also rumored to be at a minimum of $400 (which is a ton for a monitor).
I have a VH236H and it's an excellent companion to the PA248Q I just got a few months ago.
biggrin.gif

The VH236H is good for 1080p movies since it has the native aspect ratio for those, while I can use my 24" 16:10 for web browsing, etc (and I can watch movies on it, too, if I'd rather use that monitor.
smile.gif

Verdict: Dual-monitor it up, ASAP
tongue.gif

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies.

The only problem now is that the ASUS VG248QE seems to have color problems; at least that's what people say about it with lightboost. Also, since this ASUS monitor is upgradeable to Gsync...you lose the HDMI when doing so -.- (I guess I could just buy an HMDI to DisplayPort)

It is also $230 today and today only on NCIX

Is it worth waiting for the already installed/enhanced VG248GE (Gsync already installed from ASUS) for $400 or just jumping on it for $230 without Gsync

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/vg248qe-g-sync-nvidia-asus,24766.html

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the replies.

The only problem now is that the ASUS VG248QE seems to have color problems; at least that's what people say about it with lightboost. Also, since this ASUS monitor is upgradeable to Gsync...you lose the HDMI when doing so -.- (I guess I could just buy an HMDI to DisplayPort)

It is also $230 today and today only on NCIX

Is it worth waiting for the already installed/enhanced VG248GE (Gsync already installed from ASUS) for $400 or just jumping on it for $230 without Gsync

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/vg248qe-g-sync-nvidia-asus,24766.html
you quote gsync alot, but do you believe you'll even benefit from it?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Honestly I have no clue that's the problem. It's "new" and is a $200 premium which I have no clue if it's really that great.

·
PC Evangelist
47,492 Posts
Dual monitors is really good for work and school.

• Rep+
Reactions: WhiteWulfe

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

Dual monitors is really good for work and school.
Yea I'll be in college only for 1 more year (hopefully >.< ) so I guess now my question is.

Is the Asus VG248QE a great monitor for gaming or is there problems with color especially when using Lightboost "hack" or is there a better monitor for around the same price range <$300

·
PC Evangelist
47,492 Posts
Personally i would wait for G-Sync Monitors. They are more expensive but its really worth it.

·
Fluffy Fennec Foxes!
10,530 Posts
I'm going to second what "DF is BUSY", "The Pook", and "sidewaykill" have all said: once you've gotten used to two monitors, the sheer productivity increase (or at least the extra room to work with) is quite the perk to have. I used to be one of the guys who fought against it, but once a friend lent me two CRTs back in 2006 I was hooked. It's just so nice to be able to have a game (say, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, insert MMO of the week here... running in fullscreen windowed) and switch to the second monitor to check out something (be it looking up a guide, chatting with friends through instant messengers, or as others have mentioned, information tools (GPU-Z, EVGA Precision, etc).

If you do any kind of multi-tasking, it's useful.

I'll never look back, and once I have the cash I'm upgrading from dual 21.5" 1080p displays to triple 27" 1440p displays on my main desk. I seriously can't wait ^_^
Quote:

The lack of screen tearing or micro stuttering alone makes it worth it to me. Also, even if you're only pushing 40fps the image is, from reports, noticeably clearer and more "fluid", making it even more useful to those who want to run at the prettier settings, but might not have the hardware to run a constant 60Hz. Oh, also, G-Sync means no more having to use V-Sync!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Grrr...

Well still havent decided but i need to within then next couple hours due to the NCIX sale.

If I had spend over 250 on a monitor previously it would be an easy, wait for Gsync, decision. But I have never spend over that $250 amount so it's hard to justify $400+tax? on a monitor. lol

Again, thanks for the replies.

Edit: Im gonna wait until I can get a Gsync version. Whenever that is

1 - 16 of 16 Posts