Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay I just want to ask a really simple fast question, is it worth upgrading to a phenom II x6, I am currently using a Athlon x4 630, are the extra 2 cores and L3 cashe worth it?
I usually play wow, and some other games, such as dirt 2, gears.
Also if it is worth upgrading what are the performance gains I would get from it?

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
depends, what's that 630 running at?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fear of Oneself View Post
depends, what's that 630 running at?
3.2Ghz, but i have heard allot of people saying that having L3 cashe can offer a boost of 10% in performance, is this true or not?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by $ilent View Post
well then your next bottleneck would probs be your ram, im guessing its value 4gb ram, otherwis you would have put the brand name in your sig?
Its OCZ 800MHz gold edition, just not come around to updating it, but it has also been slightly OC and now is running at 920MHz
clocks are 5-5-5-18

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
L3 + DDR2 wouldn't be in your best interest, you're better off upgrading mobo and memory before GPU or CPU.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xXjay247Xx View Post
3.2Ghz, but i have heard allot of people saying that having L3 cashe can offer a boost of 10% in performance, is this true or not?
if you get it up to 3.6 it'll be fine

Go for a new GPU and a new CPU if it doesn't go higher. Games don't need too too fast memory, DDR2 is fine. You won't see a different in FPS going from 1000MHz DDR2 to 1190MHz DDR2.

That L3 is good though, you should consider it, at the very least get a Phenom II X4 945 and clock the piss out of it

• Rep+
Reactions: xXjay247Xx

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Your system is fine right now. There are plenty of reasons to stay with the CPU you have.

1. Don't get rid of a cpu unless you have seen how it can overclock. X4s can do 3.7 if you have a good cooler.
2. You can possibly unlock the L3 cache in that CPU depending on your motherboard and of course whether or not your CPU has a stable L3 cache.
3. I think it would be silly to upgrade to an X6 when Bulldozer is around the corner.

·
OG AMD
8,885 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackeduphard View Post
I am not sure but i have herd that the x6 core on AMD is limited or something.... any one got benttchmarks??

I see these:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...a-pc,2700.html

read through it and see how it gets stomped :X Kinda sad

That's with dual 480's-of course Intel will be better for that.You need a new mobo in my opinion to run an X6.Many older boards have burned up trying to run a 6-core overclocked.Mobo/ram/ and a 965 X4 will do fine.No games use 6cores,and unless you do video editing the 6 core is kind of overkill.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by epitek View Post
L3 + DDR2 wouldn't be in your best interest, you're better off upgrading mobo and memory before GPU or CPU.
I have been reading up about L3 and DDR2, and so far I have not seen any issues, but if there are care to point out
? as this would really help me decide or not.

Quote:
I think it would be silly to upgrade to an X6 when Bulldozer is around the corner.
the issue is, I'm fine with my motherboard, and I don't see the point in upgrading to DDR3, and paying loads for another 4GB of memory, when I can buy a nice card, and a CPU.

Quote:
You need a new mobo in my opinion to run an X6
According to asrock, the K10N78D can run the phenom II x6 fine, but my board burning out from OC, does kinda scare me, but I'm not going to be doing huge overclocking.
Also, i can run games such as wow, dirt just fine, actually everything on max, its just I want to be more future proof, as i want to save the rest of my money for a car

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
A $200-300 6-core CPU isn't going to make a worthwhile difference in an application that only uses maybe 2-3 cores on a machine worth maybe $300-400 (if built new).

Use your bios to kill the 4th core, run it as an X3, see if you can unlock L3 cache or not, and clock it to 3.5 or 3.6GHZ. This will come within spitting range ahead or behind of upgrading to something else anyways.

Your biggest improvements will come from the video card. Considering the 1366x768 resolution, your best bang for the buck is actually a 768MB GTX460.

Eric

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
go for an x4 955 and save money , no difference in games

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
Your current CPU is fine, I had a X 620, had i clocked at 3.6 and could do anything i wanted. When i upgraded to my 965, i was actually disappointed as i expected a performance increase and didnt really get it, max i got was maybe 10%, at clock for clock. If you are going to overclock like mad, the a 955/965 isnt bad because of the unlocked multipliers, but anything other than that, and id say its a complete waste to upgrade, put your money aside for a new Mobo and RAM.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdocod
View Post

A $200-300 6-core CPU isn't going to make a worthwhile difference in an application that only uses maybe 2-3 cores on a machine worth maybe $300-400 (if built new).

Use your bios to kill the 4th core, run it as an X3, see if you can unlock L3 cache or not, and clock it to 3.5 or 3.6GHZ. This will come within spitting range ahead or behind of upgrading to something else anyways.

Your biggest improvements will come from the video card. Considering the 1366x768 resolution, your best bang for the buck is actually a 768MB GTX460.

Eric

great advise, Its just that I want to change from nvidia to ATI, as I want to try out something new, so I'm sure a 5830/5850 will do me fine at my resolution, and I should be future proof with it for a while.
So would best thing for me to do now, is get a new graphics card, And also a water loop, to overclock the crap out of the 630?

Quote:

i was actually disappointed as i expected a performance increase and didnt really get it, max i got was maybe 10%, at clock for clock. If you are going to overclock like mad, the a 955/965 isnt bad because of the unlocked multipliers

this is another reason why I want to upgrade, 10% is not much, but its something and also would love to have a unlocked multiplier.

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xXjay247Xx View Post
So would best thing for me to do now, is get a new graphics card, And also a water loop, to overclock the crap out of the 630?
I would suggest just starting with the video board and see how things work for you.

When buying expensive cooling solutions, you have entered the world of sport over-clocking. Like sport hunting, there is a lot of money spent, and that money buys the equipment to make the adventure happen. The important thing is the trip, the hunt, the experience, it's not about the cost. People who hunt and fish rarely do it for the purpose of reducing their cost of living. Very rarely is there going to be an example of a way to combine fancy after-market cooling and produce a solution that has a higher performance per dollar than just using the retail cooler and seeing what you can get out of it.

I mentioned purposely dropping the 4th core and experimenting with that. You may be able to support higher clock speeds on the other 3 cores without running into heat problems. Since most games are only going to use 1-3 cores, that may actually optimize what you have best.

Best of luck,
Eric

1 - 18 of 18 Posts