Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that when I play Titanfall my micro-stuttering issues go away when I change to windows 7 basic from aero (disable desktop composition). I was wondering if the performance gain is worth it to plug in my old 9800 GT to power my other two monitors while my main GTX 760 powers my gaming display.

EDIT: Should mention that I have 3x 24" 1920x1200 displays.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
If its fine as it is then leave it or do you want to avoid having to disable aero?

I wouldn't bother to be honest, it's doesn't use much resources on the extra screens, just a little video memory. Do some tests, with your two side monitors off vs then on and also with your extra card. Only way to know for sure!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Aero shouldn't interfere under normal circumstances (1 monitor) when a game is full screen. Are you playing titanfall on all monitors or do you have your desktop open on one of them? If you usually have the desktop visible and do not want to leave aero off try the 9800 and see if it makes a difference. If so id purchase a really cheap low power GPU and run whichever monitor(s) you want for non-gaming purposes and set it up that way. If however you sometimes play games using all the monitors then this isnt really a good solution.

The other option is to upgrade to a newer video card. If your sig is up to date a 5870 with 1GB might be holding you back a bit. A current gen amd/nvidia mid range card for like $250ish+ may provide a big leap and not only resolve the issue but give better performance overall

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0CoolX View Post

Aero shouldn't interfere under normal circumstances (1 monitor) when a game is full screen. Are you playing titanfall on all monitors or do you have your desktop open on one of them? If you usually have the desktop visible and do not want to leave aero off try the 9800 and see if it makes a difference. If so id purchase a really cheap low power GPU and run whichever monitor(s) you want for non-gaming purposes and set it up that way. If however you sometimes play games using all the monitors then this isnt really a good solution.

The other option is to upgrade to a newer video card. If your sig is up to date a 5870 with 1GB might be holding you back a bit. A current gen amd/nvidia mid range card for like $250ish+ may provide a big leap and not only resolve the issue but give better performance overall
Sorry, the rig in my sig is outdated. I'm using a GTX 760 2gb right now. I don't mind Aero being off but I have to turn it off manually every time as "disable desktop composition" under the compatibility tab on the .exe doesn't work. Also it's usually in full screen (other monitors black) but if I alt tab and go back to the game a few times the other screens turn on. Also, if I play with the other screens black for a while a prompt pops up saying that my performance is low and I should switch to basic. I've tried playing borderless fullscreen as well but have the same results with turning aero off for better performance (however this also disables my v-sync for some reason).

Honestly, I'd rather have everything run off one card, but perhaps this is more an issue with Titanfall than it is with my rig seeing as how I run bioshock infinite, portal 2, dead space 3, and other games just fine.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Could be a titanfall issue. Also just because the other screens are black doesnt mean your actually full screen. Can you see if the same thing happens if you unplug 2 of the monitors and use just one? If it works try with just 2, and if that works try all 3. Also are your drivers up to date? Are the monitors drivers generic or are they specific to the model(s)? If there is a driver from the manufacturer or even windows update specific to the brand/model and you are using generic try installing those too.

Of course you could also turn off aero altogether if you dont really need it. It really caused more issues then it was worth, which is why they removed it from Windows 8.

The message you are getting about performance i have seen before too but only when alt tabbing out of games frequently or when playing in windowed mode (and only on Win 7 bc of aero).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts